Engineer said they can't fit smart meter. Looking for advice :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjmaino613

Reaction score
I had an engineer come round to switch my flat meter to a smart meter (it is currently a prepaid meter). From the beginning he claimed eveyrthing was impossible to do, the electricity was old, he coudn't find the main fuse etc etc.

However, it has come to light that he was also completely inexperienced. He was supposed to switch the gas meter too, but ended up filing an emergency call out from cadent gas, because he was adamant the gas isolation level (by the meter box) could not be pushed to off because the wall was blocking it. Cadent Gas come round 3 hours later, he looks it me with a smile and just pulls the level TOWARDS him. He could not beleive any engineer would not know it "pulls" as well as "pushes".

With that in mind, I spoke to the managment company for the block and they liased with the main contactor for the building. They agree the system is old and a pain in the rear, but should be switchable for a smart meter, if the engineer can be bothered to do the work.

I have attached some photos of the electrical cuboard by the building entrance, apologies for lack of clarity.

If you can offer any advice / confirmation of the situation I would be extremely grateful!

Images of Fuses and Electriciy room

Cheers

Presumably the meters that you want swapped are in your flat. If there is no local isolation for the electrical supply someone will have to work out where your feed is from those ancient fuses, and switching you off would likely affect another flat as well. Messy but not impossible.

Having said that, I wouldn't want someone who couldn't see how to turn the gas off messing with either of my supplies, so perhaps you had a lucky escape.

Presumably the meters that you want swapped are in your flat. If there is no local isolation for the electrical supply someone will have to work out where your feed is from those ancient fuses, and switching you off would likely affect another flat as well. Messy but not impossible.

Having said that, I wouldn't want someone who couldn't see how to turn the gas off messing with either of my supplies, so perhaps you had a lucky escape.
Yes exactly my thoughts, a lucky escape! I just wanted to get a consensus on whether or not its possible to fit the smart meter based on these electrics.

The prepayment metter is in the flat yes, but they said they need to isolate from the fuse downstairs.

I can't help but wonder why you want a smart meter, since a smart meter can be changed (remotely) to a prepayment meter, so you would be no better off than what you already have.

offgem said:
Smart meters can work in prepayment or credit mode.

Quote taken from offgem site, Smart meter benefits, item 3 Click here

Not sure what you mean? I want to leave the prepayment tarrif (expensive) and just go on a refular tarrif billed monthly or whatever. right now i just have a standard prepayment meter with Keycard.

I realised you have a prepay meter, I am saying that IF you get a smart meter, it will still be on a pre-pay tariff. The rate you pay is set by your electricity supplier, not by the type of meter you have.

Also I am saying that some people who already have a smart meter (paying monthly) are being changed to pre-pay, without their consent and that it is being done remotely. (No one visits the house/flat)

I realised you have a prepay meter, I am saying that IF you get a smart meter, it will still be on a pre-pay tariff. The rate you pay is set by your electricity supplier, not by the type of meter you have.

Also I am saying that some people who already have a smart meter (paying monthly) are being changed to pre-pay, without their consent and that it is being done remotely. (No one visits the house/flat)
Ah ok, understood thanks. But I am fairly certain my provider has no problem moving me off prepay and onto a regular credit tarrif. They have told me as much

I am sure a prepayment meter can be turned into a credit meter so you can billed normally without actually swapping it. They are just using this as an excuse to push smart meter installs.

I am sure a prepayment meter can be turned into a credit meter so you can billed normally without actually swapping it. They are just using this as an excuse to push smart meter installs.
Really? but how would that even work? there are no meter readings to take from from the prepayment meter, just a balance amount of funds remaining

there will be emter readings, there just usually a bit more hidden and need to press buttons to skip through menu's to get to the kwh readings

ok thats interesting. thank you all for alerting me to this posibility, I will chase this up with the provider and push them for this option. Would mean my original problem would be null and void as I am really not too fussed about being smart. Thanks Richard and Dave as well!

Can they not do it live? Year ago I had a 16th century cottage, one night in heavy rain our power went off with a lot of flashing and banging from the overhead supply. The joint in the cable from the property to the overhead line had burned up. The local electricity board came out 10:30 at night in torrential rain and re terminated the cables, all live and not a problem at all. I personally wouldn't have fancied that with all the water around, I have done other stuff live though.

Certain older fuse carriers and those that still have fused neutrals (plenty out there)
They are not allowed to work on .
These get notifed by code according to the condition / type to the DNO so they can be updated ,in flats can also be a BNO building network operator involved .

If you do have 2 flats on same fuse engineer would have to ensure the other flat owner was ok with power going off due to medical devices ect .

Most engineers have fuse finders in their vans .
Usually most fuses are marked somewhere if you have a good look 😉.

This engineer certainly does not have an electrical background or didn't explain how things work to you.
Probably another of those who just get forced to go from job to job with too many appointments and not enough time to do the job safely or properly so was looking for excuses to abort your job and lessen his workload .
There have been many occasions of supervisors telling engineers they cannot abort jobs without being onsite themselves to ascertain the risk ! .
As to the gas ecv "what a numpty"