Extractor Fan Wiring Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babulmiah

Reaction score
I am replacing an extractor fan that does not work any more with a new one pretty much the same model - however the old extractor fan wiring has Neutral, Switched Live and Live, the new extractor fan has 2 connections - please see pictures attached.

Can you let me know how to wire the Neutral, Switched Live and Live into the new connections.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• OLD EXTRACTOR FAN.jpeg
    OLD EXTRACTOR FAN.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
  • NEW EXTRACTOR FAN.jpeg
    NEW EXTRACTOR FAN.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
New one does not have an overrun timer, so just use the switched L and N for the new fan and make the permanent L safe in a connector block

EDIT: can you give more details about the new fan, as although it only has 2 terminals it appears to label them permanent L and N so does it have motion sensor or humidity sensor etc to control it's operation?

So those instructions say it is a timer fan with the same 3 connections as the old fan.

Why does your first picture only show 2 terminals then? Have they sent you something different to what you ordered?

So those instructions say it is a timer fan with the same 3 connections as the old fan.

Why does your first picture only show 2 terminals then? Have they sent you something different to what you ordered?

No they don't..
that looks like a standard manufacturers instruction sheet covering all models..
Box 5b is the standard (Non-timer, Non-humidity etc), fan..
two terminals.. Switched Live & Neutral.

The other question is..
why was the previous fan a timer model?
Does the room actually require a timer fan to meet building regs?

When I was doing the refurb, I purchased the fan and then realised it was a timer model and to save time, i went with the model as I needed to move in

I am totally confused now.

So you had a TIMER model wired with 3 cables?

You now have a NON timer replacement and are happy with that? But you confused us by posting a pdf set of instructions relating to the timer version, which is not what you are now saying you have?

In which case my original answer in post #2 applies connect switched L and N to the two terminals of the new fan and make the permanent L safe in an additional terminal that you will have to supply and find room for, or if you know where the 3 core cable originates from, disconnect the permanent L at it's source.