Fan Heater Keeps Turning Off After About 30 Sec.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmoore

Reaction score
I have a heater (Dimplex FX20V) installed in my bathroom which only seems to go on for about 30-40 sec and then cut's out. It's connected to a MRT-16-PC timer. The timer is set to max and dip switch set to 15-1hr 

Is it a problem with the timer or the heater itself ?

some photos

IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

If you read the instructions and install it correctly it will be quite a bit down of the ceiling. I will say the one in my shower room is to high but that is only set on 1KW so doesn't cut out.

As batty says...

installed WRONG!!

from instructions...

http://www.glendimplexireland.com/assets/kb/operating_instructions/0/FX20V_Downflow_Instructions_Issue_6.pdf

It is essential to observe minimum wall mounting clearances - see

Fig. 1.

The appliance should be fitted horizontally, with the cable entry at the top

and grille at the bottom. It must be mounted not less than 1800mm above

the floor with a clearance of at least 600mm to any shelf or projecting

surface below the heater and not less than 300mm below the ceiling or

other projecting surface.

300mm is about 1 foot in old money...

from the photo that looks about 2 or 3 inches max?

I have the very same heater (just checked)  and it does the very same thing .   Theres an adjustable stat inside which I turned up and it worked over Christmas now it trips out within 30 secs - 1min.  I have it set at 2KW  as I always believe that 1KW is a slightly warm draught. 

So , although I've not looked at it again , I'd say the stats are probably faulty like many trusted brands once made in Britain  which are now not so trusted.  

It was fine for 6 months though Stepps , before tripping , then it worked over Chistmas , about 4 weeks , now its playing up again .    Trouble is 1KW  doesn't seem enough to me .

Thanks everyone for the replies. Not sure who installed it but does seem to be lack of airflow. Will talk to the landlord about it.