Fluorescent light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I've read that if you hold a fluorescent tube near a hv substation it will light up due to the fields. Can someone explain how this works please?

Thanks

I saw it on TV once , below some high tension pylons , hold up a tube and it lit up. It has to the induction field around cables etc. Named after a bloke called Eddie Currents it was.

Not that long ago I clipped some 200A meter tails (70mm) with a space between each as they went down to the main switch of some offices.

On the other side of the wall ,in an office , 10" block, the computer monitor had interference lines across it until it was moved 2 mtrs away from the wall.

It also affected a screen to the side of the switchroom until I bunched them tightly together in the usual way .

Staff were refusing to sit next to the switchroom!!

Electromagnetic field around HV cables will carry a long way. I once lived in a house right next to a 33KV pylon and I could stand on my doorstep and hold my voltstick up and it would light up like it was next to a live socket. no kidding.

In the case of a fluro, the magnetic field ionises the inert gas inside the tube which usually happens because of the heaters in each end.

Electromagnetic field around HV cables will carry a long way. I once lived in a house right next to a 33KV pylon and I could stand on my doorstep and hold my voltstick up and it would light up like it was next to a live socket. no kidding.In the case of a fluro, the magnetic field ionises the inert gas inside the tube which usually happens because of the heaters in each end.
That's correct Rev. There is also some evidence being accepted, that pylon system's carrying 750KV and above voltages, have such powerful electromagnetic fields, that they can also have some serious detrimental affects on the human and animal body chemistry. Just as well the UK doesn't go up to those sort of transmitting voltages.... Our ''super grid'' i think is 400 Kv or 450 Kv!!!

I used to work with an old sparky who had a pacemaker fitted and he was told not to stand underneath overhead power lines/pylons etc.