Gu10 Smd Light Bulbs.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1rado

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of replacing my current GU10 (halogen 50w) in my kitchen. Can anyone tell me whether i should go for the 6w ones.

Please note the kitchen has black tiling and black flooring.

Also, does anyone know of a good online shop to buy these from?

Regards

It is hard to give definitive advice with only the wattage rating. Watts are the power consumed not the light output. Not all manufactures actually give the light output on their packaging. But you need to look for the Lumens (lm) or Candella (cd). A traditional 60watt GLS lamp was approx 550lm, some 50w halogen GU10's are approx 600lm some 6w LED's are only around 400lm. But the LED is generally a whiter (cooler) crisp light. and you also have a beam angle to consider with a GU10 spot lamp. A traditional lamp radiates light out at wider angle than the narrower beam of a GU10 spot lamp. But not all GU10's have the same beam angle! Have you actually seen some lamps you are interested in? what manufactures data is their available? Do you have any spec or brand name of the current lamps that are installed?

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
SMD's are a great lamp as they offer a wider spread of light much like halogens. I have fitted a large amount recently varying between 4 & 5 Watt depending on the room usage. I only used warm white on domestic though as the cool white was too clinical (even in a modern black am d white gloss kitchen). I used a brand called Vivedas, bought through Denmans. Didn't have a single failure. The only comment I do have and is one that affects all LEDs, due to the glare they give off they can be an eye sore and distraction with rooms with low ceilings.

The only ones I can recommend are he Philips mv master, I think 6 watt. Im not so sure that the comparison of wattage is anything to go off; example 6 watt from philips is a direct replacement for a 50 watt, that might not be the case with other manufacturers. you will not notice the difference in light output, FACT!

They are guaranteed for 5 years, but claim they last from 25,000 to 40,000 hrs. NB; You can only dim them in banks of 8

£14.50 + VAT from Eyre & Elision is the cheapest I can find

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just replaced my bathroom GU10 halogens with smd led 6w and wow are they bright. They make the 50w halogen they replaced look dim. I for one am very impressed with these lamps. Pity they are so expensive at the moment.

Lidl have some ES ones at the moment and my wife is very impressed with them as make-up lighting.