Harry Patch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Albert , Am I right in saying he passed on after this recording ?

My God ! I believe 6000 men were killed on the 1st day of the Somme battle , imagine that news coming in today. Back then the upper clarss orfficers just ordered more working class cannon fodder over the top as they listened to Haige announcing that the new fangled tanks won't replace cavalry . Right on mate.

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN ,I FOR ONE, REMEMBER THEM .

He sadly passed on last year Deke,

was a BAD BAD time for all,

we only think we have something to moan about,

half a million killed by the end,! :(

puts it in perspective.

tell them of us,

that gave our today for their tomorrow,

at the going down of the sun, and in the morning,

we shall remember them.

must go and take my flag down now, goes up every July 1st and down on rememberance Sunday.

saddens my heart that (most)kids nowadays have no idea about a lot of this.

Thanks Step. I've never forgotten, as a child, seeing my dad cry when the Royal Navy marched past the Cenotaph ,on the TV . I don't think he ever watched it again . Thats when it dawned on me that war was more than the bravado of John Wayne films .

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Steps I have to ask, why does your flag go up on July 1st .

to commemorate the Somme, and to remember the men that fell.

its a very common tradition from my part of the world,

then it either comes down on what is known as "Last Saturday" ,

which is the last saturday of August, or remains up until Rememberance Sunday,

some people leave it up all year and simply put a new one up each July 1st.

Read the book (The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches) its a real eye opener of one mans war & tells of his life before the war growing up at Combe Down & how he was an apprentice plumber before joining up.

People's attitudes changed after WW1 when they became aware of the sacrifices made.

Ever hear about the "Pal's" Regiments where men were recruted from small areas and served together . It resulted in all young men from a particular area being wiped out in the trenches .

Theres a folk song called The Accrington Pals , you don't want to hear it . TBH I think Mike Harding sang it .

People's attitudes changed after WW1 when they became aware of the sacrifices made.Ever hear about the "Pal's" Regiments where men were recruted from small areas and served together . It resulted in all young men from a particular area being wiped out in the trenches .

Theres a folk song called The Accrington Pals , you don't want to hear it . TBH I think Mike Harding sang it .
I think that is a lot to with with our tradition of putting the flag up on July 1st,

to commemorate 13 battalions of a division that signed up with just one signature.!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_%28Ulster%29_Division

Harry Patch ,The last Tommy,

just started on ch 12 freeview if anyone is interested.
I've read his book and the stories of when he was a very brave soldier witnessing the true horrors of the trenches brought tears to my eyes. He was very frank about it because he told it how it was. Losing his mates, witnessing dying men calling out for their mothers truly distressing. The book went on to mention about his plumbing career too and I can imagine he was quite a character.. But he must have been haunted by the trenches for the rest of his life. I remember all our fallen soldiers,sailors and airmen/women, :Salute with a passion.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

to commemorate the Somme, and to remember the men that fell.its a very common tradition from my part of the world,

then it either comes down on what is known as "Last Saturday" ,

which is the last saturday of August, or remains up until Rememberance Sunday,

some people leave it up all year and simply put a new one up each July 1st.
Steps. That is showing the repect these brave soldiers truly deserve.. I'm with you all the way .

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

He sadly passed on last year Deke,was a BAD BAD time for all,

we only think we have something to moan about,

half a million killed by the end,! :(

puts it in perspective.

tell them of us,

that gave our today for their tomorrow,

at the going down of the sun, and in the morning,

we shall remember them.

must go and take my flag down now, goes up every July 1st and down on rememberance Sunday.

It is sad to think that it is the case but it's up to us to tell them about it and why remembrance sunday is so important. I gave my Harry patch book to my 14yr old son to read. He is interested about history anyway and it must of hit home because he got his own poppy this year and he as been talking about life in the trenches .

To be fair Steps....

2 of my kids have gone with the school to Belguim to see the battlefield memorials

My 15 year old cried his eyes out !!!!!

My youngest is going to Poland next year to see the concentration camps on a school trip.....

i did a battlefield tour when i was in the Falklands..... Mt Kent

omg standing there and all was quiet eerie

also went to the Argintinean memorial after they families had visited

seeing them walk back after the visit to the aircraft was one of the worst experiences of my life.........

:_|

To be fair Steps....

2 of my kids have gone with the school to Belguim to see the battlefield memorials

My youngest is going to Poland next year to see the concentration camps on a school trip.....

seeing them walk back after the visit to the aircraft was one of the worst experiences of my life.........

I'm trying to find out where my Great uncle is buried. He was a gunner in the Great war and got killed at 21. When I do find out I will be taking my son's on what I know will be a very emotional trip. Still busy with my research as My Dad can only remember some bits to help Me along.

My Grandfather was somewhere (I forget where) in the 1st war. Him and his mate went on leave. When they went back the reported in to some reporting place or other. The officer looked at them and said' 'What are you two doing here?'. When they were away his unit went over the top and every last man was killed. But for a few days I would not be here typing this. Makes you think a bit about life!!!

It certainly does Mr McW.

Welcome to the forum. :)

To be fair Steps....2 of my kids have gone with the school to Belguim to see the battlefield memorials

I'm trying to find out where my Great uncle is buried. He was a gunner in the Great war and got killed at 21. When I do find out I will be taking my son's on what I know will be a very emotional trip. Still busy with my research as My Dad can only remember some bits to help Me along.
could start your search here MILITARY GENEALOGY - OVER 2 MILLION MILITARY RECORDS & MILITARY HISTORY DATA then on to The Commonwealth War Graves Commission