Here it comes?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most likely they wont be getting 'discounts' for using less. theyll still pay the same. those who do dare to use the kettle at peak times will simply be charged more instead

it also completely different to eco 7. that was mostly use use excess leccy through the night. we dont have any excess leccy anymore to sell off cheaply...

All of the infrastructure should never have been privatised. Taking power generation in particular, there was never the competition created between the big suppliers, then the price cap was added which in my mind is absolute madness. The grid and distribution should be taken back into public ownership, the generators free to sell at whatever price they wish and the consumers free to purchase from whichever generator they choose, a small fee for transportation across the network. Competition would truly occur and we would see the most efficient companies with the lowest prices.

I fear for a lot of people in this country of where this is going, I've taken steps to minimise the impact on me personally but not everyone is in a position to do the same.

All of the infrastructure should never have been privatised. Taking power generation in particular, there was never the competition created between the big suppliers, then the price cap was added which in my mind is absolute madness. The grid and distribution should be taken back into public ownership, the generators free to sell at whatever price they wish and the consumers free to purchase from whichever generator they choose, a small fee for transportation across the network. Competition would truly occur and we would see the most efficient companies with the lowest prices.

I fear for a lot of people in this country of where this is going, I've taken steps to minimise the impact on me personally but not everyone is in a position to do the same.
I would take generation back into public ownership as well, that way we might get a properly coordinated infrastructure where we don't have to subsidize private companies for when whatever power station they have built isn't being used. There's no motivation for private companies to build infrastructure to cover days when the wind doesn't blow, or a power station needs maintenance

I would take generation back into public ownership as well, that way we might get a properly coordinated infrastructure where we don't have to subsidize private companies for when whatever power station they have built isn't being used. There's no motivation for private companies to build infrastructure to cover days when the wind doesn't blow, or a power station needs maintenance
I could go with that too. Huge mistake selling it all off, we, the public owned it all, the government sold it off, the rich became richer and the rest of us lost an asset.

I could go with that too. Huge mistake selling it all off, we, the public owned it all, the government sold it off, the rich became richer and the rest of us lost an asset.
I also don’t remember a referendum on the government selling publicly owned asset either?
No could be an opening for an ambulance chaser type for wrongful selling?

Aye, loads of bureaucracy and interfering do gooders that did absolutely nothing for us Brits.
Half the bearocracy was our own government enforcing things other countries chose to ignore. But I was hoping leaving the EU would mean we could return to being economically linked and less politically linked. Hard Brexit was not what I was expecting, it's added 5% to inflation on it's own, which possibly makes the money we paid into the EU look like a bargain?

I've always likened it to giving your house to a private company and renting it from them. Why would you do that?
Yes, it is silly, but HMG has done exactly that with its own estate. It has sold off prime office space in Whitehall (and elsewhere) and then rented it back on long leases. This moves capital assets off the book and gives HMG a (short term) income boost whilst pushing the maintenance of the property on to the new private owners. Of course they then have to pay rent to those same owners but that gets shoved forward into future years when those future taxpayers have to fund it.

Politicians have very short term time horizons - one of the major reasons we have so little infrastructure investment in this country.

Yes, it is silly, but HMG has done exactly that with its own estate. It has sold off prime office space in Whitehall (and elsewhere) and then rented it back on long leases. This moves capital assets off the book and gives HMG a (short term) income boost whilst pushing the maintenance of the property on to the new private owners. Of course they then have to pay rent to those same owners but that gets shoved forward into future years when those future taxpayers have to fund it.

Politicians have very short term time horizons - one of the major reasons we have so little infrastructure investment in this country.
It also raises revenue to spend on tax cuts thereby keeping the general public in blissful ignorance.