How long does it take you to do a rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Reaction score
So I thought I'd start an interesting survey, to gauge an average for new sole-traders to get an idea from

How long does it take you to do a rewire and how many electricians are involved in that time scale?

I'm not a sole- trader but I was recently involved with a large contract rewiring (in trunking) 3 bedroom occupied LA houses and one sparky and one mate were given 10 working days to do each one which I managed very easily. Obviously the quickest ones were the ones where there was very little furniture/ carpets- especially upstairs, loose floorboards and no boarded attic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely that depends entirely on the size of house and it's structure and fabric, if it is void or occupied. I am pricing for a 7 Bedroom

Don't think you understood the point of the thread. Tell us both.
Oh, I did - honestly. Thing is, every rewire is totally different and therefore so are timescales. Without any theoretical parameters set down the thread is pointless.

As Cirus mentions, I think you need to define a basic specification, rooms, accessories, circuits etc, otherwise you will just have several members giving different times for different specified properties which will be very difficult to compare. On its simplest form I think some members work on half hour per point and a bit more for the CU and testing. The structure of the property and the tools you have available are also very big contributing factors.

Doc H

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:03 ----------

As Cirus mentions, I think you need to define a basic specification, rooms, accessories, circuits etc, otherwise you will just have several members giving different times for different specified properties which will be very difficult to compare. On its simplest form I think some members work on half hour per point and a bit more for the CU and testing. The structure of the property and the tools you have available are also very big contributing factors.Doc H

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:03 ----------

Does that constant include the time spent chatting to the attractive next door neighbor, or am I thinking of a different calculation?

Doc H.
I think you will find that is 'Woods variable'...............(.proportional to length of leg X visible cleavage ) / (size of Partner X Size of waist]............. :coat

A few weeks back myself (mate) and boss took 6 days ( 8.45-5ish ) to do an occupied 2 bed terrace. He is very customer aware and they were in during the day and a lot of time was spent continously tidying up which looks good but does slow things.

Ash , you may have gleaned that its not possible to give any guidelines on your question .

All you can do is :-

a) Always do the survey (And look at the KME's checklist on the Forum)

B) Easy bit... list all the materials.

c) Harder bit ....break the job down into logical sections if you don't like looking at the whole and thinking HHhmmmm! 2 weeks work there , (So, upstairs lts ****hours , upstairs plugs ***Hours etc)

If you quoted for it taking you 10 days and it takes 11 , forget it , next job could be the opposite way round.

In other words , the more you do the better you'll become.

So I thought I'd start an interesting survey, to gauge an average for new sole-traders to get an idea fromHow long does it take you to do a rewire and how many electricians are involved in that time scale?
too many variables. some of them

size of property

empty or lived in

carpets in the way or not

how many sparks

how good they are

plasterboard walls or solid

lots of accessories or just the basics

so for a house, i would say any time between 2 days and 3 weeks

The quickest one was a 3 bedroom cottage. It was easy because all the walls were dry lined and in most cases I was able to use the old wiring as a draw wire to pull the new wire in.

With the owner helping to pull the wiring in, it was all done in 50 hours on site.

1 average 3 bed semi, occupied and furnished finished today. 2 full weeks

Edited to add one man job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had occupied 3bed LA done in a day with a 5man team, = 5days

also had 3bed un occupied done in 3 days with a 2man team, = 6 days

have also saw 3 bed unoccupied take 15days with a 3man team, = 45days! [cos they were worse than useless] !!!

To do the rewire on the place I am doing the PI on now, probably about 400 man days ish, could be more or less depending on changes and other things and could not be done with one man.

To be honest would take a lot of thought to consider it, would definitely need a fork lift truck & a cherry picker though! ]:)

Ive had occupied 3bed LA done in a day with a 5man team, = 5daysalso had 3bed un occupied done in 3 days with a 2man team, = 6 days

have also saw 3 bed unoccupied take 15days with a 3man team, = 45days! [cos they were worse than useless] !!!
that wasnt deke, brian and sandra was it :slap

me and my mate rewire your average 3 bed semi in six days, three days to first fix, one day for plasterer to patch, fifth day to 2nd fix sixth day to test and certify

obviously this might not be consecutive days cos were basically lazy!

If we`re to use your premise and provided info; and I`m pricing it purely on "how much to rewire my house, but I don`t know anything about it yet"?

Then I would refuse to fix a cost - but I`ll go in on dayrate..... ]:)

Latest posts