Immersion boost with Tesla Powerwall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel52

Reaction score
My original requirements were circa 14 panels, immersion boost, battery and UPS if a grid failure.

Firstly first company answered everything liked the quote asked for site inspection and never turned up and stopped communicating.

Second company was a local friends recommendation, lovely guy again looked good but the stress of the market has left him unwell and he sadly backed out.

Third company again local recommendation which I have gone with is installing panels and inverter 9th October but has recommended the Tesla Powerwall but is saying delivery June 23 - Mar 24. However, I can’t have immersion booster/EDDI as won’t work with Tesla battery. However, Tesla will give me some protection from grid failures.

I’m wondering if I would be better off changing to another battery supplier (they do Solaredge) and EDDI immersion boost. Sadly it does seem as though I will lose ups option for grid failure.

What a total minefield.

Any thoughts please?

My original requirements were circa 14 panels, immersion boost, battery and UPS if a grid failure.

Firstly first company answered everything liked the quote asked for site inspection and never turned up and stopped communicating.

Second company was a local friends recommendation, lovely guy again looked good but the stress of the market has left him unwell and he sadly backed out.

Third company again local recommendation which I have gone with is installing panels and inverter 9th October but has recommended the Tesla Powerwall but is saying delivery June 23 - Mar 24. However, I can’t have immersion booster/EDDI as won’t work with Tesla battery. However, Tesla will give me some protection from grid failures.

I’m wondering if I would be better off changing to another battery supplier (they do Solaredge) and EDDI immersion boost. Sadly it does seem as though I will lose ups option for grid failure.

What a total minefield.

Any thoughts please?
Not seen a battery yet that hasn't got a UPS function

Not seen a battery yet that hasn't got a UPS function
I’ve been told by all the suppliers I’ve spoken to that Tesla and Givenergy are the only ones approved for ups in case of grid failure. Solar energy have said they hope to have it soon.

I’ve been told by all the suppliers I’ve spoken to that Tesla and Givenergy are the only ones approved for ups in case of grid failure. Solar energy have said they hope to have it soon.
I haven't seen a battery inverter without a UPS function, now utilizing it is not always easy to set up if retrofitting, but it certainly isn't limited to Tesla and Givenergy - sounds like bs for they can't get anything else. Have a read through the posts on here, I there's lots of information on here already.

I haven't seen a battery inverter without a UPS function, now utilizing it is not always easy to set up if retrofitting, but it certainly isn't limited to Tesla and Givenergy - sounds like bs for they can't get anything else. Have a read through the posts on here, I there's lots of information on here already.
So I make sure I’m understanding this correctly. UPS where in the event of a grid failure one can run one’s house for a small amount of time up to a percentage of the battery capacity say 50%. Taking into account switching off or not using high kW items like cookers, kettles, dryers etc. So things like led lighting, gas boiler and circulation pumps, fridge.

I’m planning on connecting my Growatt sph6000 ups to my downstairs ring main through a manual transfer switch. Then in the event of a power cut I’ll be able to run a few essential appliances

Personally I just connect my works generator and that gives me the essentials for a hell of a lot cheaper! Oh and will run for as long as I need.
Technology eh!

Personally I just connect my works generator and that gives me the essentials for a hell of a lot cheaper! Oh and will run for as long as I need.
Technology eh!
To be honest I have just purchased a 3.3Kva petrol generator and my overall plan is a manual transfer switch for that to power essentials. The advantage as I see it of the Tesla Powerwall (when I can actually get it, despite paying a deposit to save the 20% VAT) is that it provides an automatic transfer in case of Grid failure. As with getting quotes on solar I have asked multiple electricians to install me a manual transfer switch as per the attached diagram and no-one is interested in quoting me.

Attachments

• Generator manual transfer switch.jpg
    Generator manual transfer switch.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 3
To be honest I have just purchased a 3.3Kva petrol generator and my overall plan is a manual transfer switch for that to power essentials. The advantage as I see it of the Tesla Powerwall (when I can actually get it, despite paying a deposit to save the 20% VAT) is that it provides an automatic transfer in case of Grid failure. As with getting quotes on solar I have asked multiple electricians to install me a manual transfer switch as per the attached diagram and no-one is interested in quoting me.
Many inverters have a volt free contact capable of starting a generator. I'm going to use it automatically transfer over to the UPS output making the changeover automatic. For some strange reason though the full capacity of the inverter is not available in this mode. My next step is to use the inverter output to feed a much bigger inverter in Grid Tied mode to give me sensible amounts of backup power.

Many inverters have a volt free contact capable of starting a generator. I'm going to use it automatically transfer over to the UPS output making the changeover automatic. For some strange reason though the full capacity of the inverter is not available in this mode. My next step is to use the inverter output to feed a much bigger inverter in Grid Tied mode to give me sensible amounts of backup power.
I believe there is a legal restriction on how many kWa can be transferred from inverter or battery. My generator is manual hence my diagram of manual transfer.

Nigel, I'm installing FOXESS H1 6kw units, and they have a UPS output, yes it's not as fancy as the Tesla one which isolates the grid automatically, so you need a separate consumer unit with your protected circuits on it (no idea how you wire those), but like Binky says, they all have this functionality.

The ones I'm getting are unusual in that they give me the full output of the inverter in UPS mode.

But can I ask, do you live somewhere very rural where you suffer a lot of power cuts?

We've been in our current house for just over 6 years, and the power has gone off once for about 2mins, so for us the UPS isn't even a consideration.

Nigel, I'm installing FOXESS H1 6kw units, and they have a UPS output, yes it's not as fancy as the Tesla one which isolates the grid automatically, so you need a separate consumer unit with your protected circuits on it (no idea how you wire those), but like Binky says, they all have this functionality.

The ones I'm getting are unusual in that they give me the full output of the inverter in UPS mode.

But can I ask, do you live somewhere very rural where you suffer a lot of power cuts?

We've been in our current house for just over 6 years, and the power has gone off once for about 2mins, so for us the UPS isn't even a consideration.
No we live in an urban area and generally no power outages. My concern is that the whole country may experience power cuts this winter. Poole. Dorset

You preparing for Armageddon, or Mad Max style society. Lol.

Well you'll be ok with pretty much any modern inverter.

You preparing for Armageddon, or Mad Max style society. Lol.

Well you'll be ok with pretty much any modern inverter.
In the 1987 October storms I managed to wire up an old Honda 2Kva generator to power our oil fired boiler and pump, lights and tv and for a week we were very popular with our neighbours giving them showers.

Maybe I should change my current order to drop the Tesla Powerwall which is on very long delivery but gives me auto transfer to battery on grid failure and change to cheaper solaredge battery and maybe see if they will agree to an EDDI immersion booster with that battery?

Maybe I should change my current order to drop the Tesla Powerwall which is on very long delivery but gives me auto transfer to battery on grid failure and change to cheaper solaredge battery and maybe see if they will agree to an EDDI immersion booster with that battery?
EDDI will work with any solar PV, it's actually completely independent.

Drop the powerwall and save yourself money and spend it on a Mixergy water tank, the 300L one with built in solar divert, no need for an Eddie.

Mixergy say their solar divert works exactly the same as any other (other devices are around and were before Eddi), just a CT on the meter tails that detects export, then turns itself on to use that power.

Other than powering an EV charger at a later date, what else can Eddi do? Lol (just got an image of ED209 from Robo Cop in my head now)

Mixergy say their solar divert works exactly the same as any other (other devices are around and were before Eddi), just a CT on the meter tails that detects export, then turns itself on to use that power.

Other than powering an EV charger at a later date, what else can Eddi do? Lol (just got an image of ED209 from Robo Cop in my head now)
I stand corrected, I didnt see anywhere on the mixenergy site that explained that.

EDDI still has the edge, it can control 2 tanks, and works co-operatively with EV charger ZAPPI.