Just a quickie.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetley

Reaction score
Right to cut a long story short I've got a job where we're suspecting the off peak supply isn't coming for the full duration through the night.

So I was just thinking could I temporarily fit a socket in place of the 20a dp swithch for a storage heater and plug in a mechanical plug in timer and set it at 00:00, then the next morning whatever the time is will tell us how long the supply had come on for, sound good?

Cheers

If it's an old mechanical timer, just have a look. You should see what times it is set to come on and off. It's not unknown for them to be set wrong, and very common indeed for the timer to have drifted to the wrong time.

But good plan to measure how long it's coming on for.

as pro dave says check the timer , always worth checking a electronic meter as well they can be programmed wrong also. or not even set up properly. you have a little tool that talks to the meter you plug into your laptop when you install them , mine was always playing up and not letting me set them up properly.