Most practical van?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcampbell

Reaction score
Morning all! Nice easy one for you as its the weekend.

Just started looking for a van, my work will be mainly domestic with a bit of commercial thrown in (hopefully anyway!)

Got my eye on a transit connect, however I have owned a few fords in the past which proved less than reliable. So was wondering what you guys think is the best van, practically and economically.

Your thoughts would be gratefully received!

Richard

vw transporter will be your most reliable but you pay for it.

I'd say a transit myself, pretty relaible compared with the french lot and cheap when it goes wrong. loadsa space inside. Mines done 175k and still drives spot on.

i had a connect, i thought it was just too small mine also bad its fair share of problems and had only done 70k, starter motor, clutch, egr valve wiring.

On the plus side good on derv, was nippy i had the 90tdci and was nice to drive. If it was cheap enough and it wasnt my main van i would consider one again. I have a transporter now much better, but alot more van like due to size and very slow only have the 85 engine.

yer iv got a transit connect.There pretty good had a few problems (starter motor). it has done 100k though. Tidy looking van aswell

Peugeot expert or similar medium sized van

I dont have one, just something to throw into the mixer

I've got the peugeot expert, fulfills my motoring needs. Big enough without being too big. Never let me down (yet). It has 2 yearly (20 000 miles) service interval. Drives ok n doesn't drink too much fuel

I've got the peugeot expert, fulfills my motoring needs. Big enough without being too big. Never let me down (yet). It has 2 yearly (20 000 miles) service interval. Drives ok n doesn't drink too much fuel
Yep. I'm very happy with my '03 Dispatch. Just over 54k now. It's only had service items so far.

It has 2 passenger seats

sliding door each side

decent performance from the 110PS HDi

a shade over 34mpg, short journeys and ladders on top (and I've got lead feet)

small enough to fit the drive easily (it's actually shorter then my Rover)

big enough to be useful

and with the bars off the top and the mirrors folded in it will just go in the garage door for the holidays.

got a tow bar but haven't used it yet - would imagine it's good though.

nissan navara...##

great in winter, nothing stops it.

However load space is rubbish, Would i buy another 1 >>>>>> NO

Just leased a new Peugeot partner this week, good size for me as I'm mainly domestic and it's a pleasure to drive. If your self employed leasing may be better for you because the cost is 100% tax deductible.

nissan navara...##great in winter, nothing stops it.

However load space is rubbish, Would i buy another 1 >>>>>> NO
Did your con rods come through the side of the engine ?, seems a common problem on those

As my user name, i drive something similar

I've got a kangoo and tbh its too small, I wish I'd bought an expert (or similar). For me a tranny or something of that size is too big.

So my next van is going to be something like a transporter or vito,, but I think I'll manage for a year or two more :(

Did your con rods come through the side of the engine ?, seems a common problem on thoseAs my user name, i drive something similar
No not yet... thank goodness. 91000miles and still ok

I'm actually thinking about another van at the mo, it may take a while due to some other issues.

I have a Connect high top at the moment & it is too small.

I am thinking about a VW, Iveco, big Transit or Merc.

Will be full high top possibly lwb.

Single side sliding door with work bench opposite.

Will rack out from there to the back doors that side & have an internal ladder/tube carrier in the "roof" that means I can work in the back and carry all the materials I need.

It will be white & unmarked.

Almost certainly on contract hire as my accountant says this will be the best for me as I'm VAT Reg. & Ltd. Co.

HTH

The VW Crafter has the Merc engine in so not much between it and the Merc. I've driven both and find the Merc a bit more comfortable. The Iveco I've always found to be more like a small artic than a big van, some like it, some don;t, depends where you're going with it really. Admittedly all the ones I've driven have had 5 tons of boom and baskets attached! The transit is a Transit, probably the cheapest of the lot so may make more sense to go for it if you're buying outright but for HP\contract lease terms I think I'd go for the Merc.

had a drive a VW crafter the other week. pure torture. would never get one of them.

if your getting something long, Ivecos are the best. rear axle is a fair distance from the back, so much tighter turning and can get them into smaller gaps more easily

and sidewinder, even with all the space inside, i still use the roof for ladders