NICEIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a good point , Justin , I've come across quite a few guys, mostly youngish, who work for large contractors and are very good at , say , whacking miles of trunking in , really good at setting etc. but when you talk to them you realise they are not all rounders .

Steps, please correct me if I am wrong but the other schemes are purely about compliance with part P work that is notifiable. Industrial and commercial work doesn't fall under Part P and therefore is not part of the other self certification schemes. Doesn't mean ELECSA neither endorse or not their members doing commercial work. That was not [as far as I understood] what they were all about.

Or have I missed the bigger picture?
Pache

With British Standards I was accessed when I joined on domestic and commercial work. I have a kitemark which says I am approved by British Standards to do the work I want to do. Each year on my assessements I have to show an example of domestic and commercial work. Now I know they are probably not as strict as NICEIC as I only have to show two jobs. But I will say when I joined they did want to see a first fix and two second fixes on domestic and one comercial job. They only take on electricians and do not do limited scope. As for NICEIC what puts me off when I first started doing electrical work I used to sub to an NICEIC approved contractor I seriously new more about testing than what he did which really is the frighning thing.

Oh dear or dear oh dear.

I love it when NIC approved contractors start saying that their assessments are much more thorough and that they're the best. C'mon guys get real, some of the worst contractors around are NICEIC full approved contractors and the assessments ain't that rigorous, I've worked for enough NICEIC companies to know that, so stop being so elitist.

NICEIC have been around for a million years, that's the only reason councils etc require membership. The NICEIC talk enough BS, you guy's don't need to bolster it. I've known guys who only have a 16th edition qualification and not much else get onto the approved contractor roll.

Oh and Mr Lurch, you're bang out of order for labeling all DI's as Mickey mouse outfits. There's plenty of crap in EVERY scheme.

Oh dear or dear oh dear.I love it when NIC approved contractors start saying that their assessments are much more thorough and that they're the best. C'mon guys get real, some of the worst contractors around are NICEIC full approved contractors and the assessments ain't that rigorous, I've worked for enough NICEIC companies to know that, so stop being so elitist.

NICEIC have been around for a million years, that's the only reason councils etc require membership. The NICEIC talk enough BS, you guy's don't need to bolster it. I've known guys who only have a 16th edition qualification and not much else get onto the approved contractor roll.

Oh and Mr Lurch, you're bang out of order for labeling all DI's as Mickey mouse outfits. There's plenty of crap in EVERY scheme.
:Salute

I at no point said all DI's were mickey mouse outfits, and I have also said several times on the forum that all the schemes are full of half arsed retarded cowboys.

Im not trying to say NIC are better than anyone else,

or that DIs are mickey mouse,

I just wanted to make the point that NIC assess commercial&ind work whereas some other scams dont,

and that is why a lot of companies specify NIC only.

help me on this one,

are NIC the only scam to stand by com/ind work,? or do some others do it too.?

Im not trying to say NIC are better than anyone else,or that DIs are mickey mouse,

I just wanted to make the point that NIC assess commercial&ind work whereas some other scams dont,

help me on this one,

are NIC the only scam to stand by com/ind work,? or do some others do it too.?
Read Batty's post - he says BSI do commercial work.

:Oheadbang

Reading these sort of threads does my head in!!!!!!!!!

have a quick read over here...

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4431&highlight=NICEIC+HISTORY

BSI & ECA both been around for 100+ years..

NICEIC 50+ years

PART-P "5 years"???

so WTF do you think these 'approved' bodies have been doing for the 45+ (or 95+) years prior to PART-P???

If they were ALL so cr4rp at what they do...

do you seriously think they would still be in existence by the time part P came about??????????????????

Then as for DI= Mickey Mouse???????????

In EVERY business in EVERY walk of life, in this country there are people who are cr4p at their job, don't pull their weight, sponge of their colleagues, would not be missed it they didn't turn up................

To somehow think the electrical industry is any different is naivety of the highest order!!!

AND

Any approved body that has a higher percentage of members.....

will by basic statistics also have the highest number of....

"Plonkers" - "No-Brains" - "Idjusts" on their books as well!!!!!!!!

BUT...

You cannot go round implying that any electrician who decides that the DI scheme is the most financially beneficial option to the greater success of their business, is a lesser "electrically knowledgeable mortal", than someone who chooses that AC status is the better option.

With over 19+ years experience working in industry at numerous "Brand name" companies Prior to commencing self employment..

I consider myself equal to, if not above many of the "average capability" electricians out there

Just trying to remember a few of the more common brand names I have worked at....

Jaguar

Wedgwood

British Leyland (as it was then known)

Argos

Evo Stick

GKN Sankey

Epson

Royal Doulton

Pampers

Brintons Carpets

Kays Catalog

Coventry Climax

Royal Brierley Crystal

Cosworth Engines

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

JCB

Waitrose

Cadbury's

Lea & Perrins 'Worcestershire Sauce'

Merlin Gerin

GEC

Goodyear

Rank Xerox

Laura Ashley

Sandvik

Spear & Jackson

Bank's & Hansons Brewery

Conex pipe fittings

I am now too intoximicated to remember any more.......

:Blushing

But anyway if DI status = Mickey mouse then you'd better call me Mickey then !

Cuz I don't think I need AC for the work I chose to do.

:innocent ;)

:C

All the schemes have pros and cons.I prefer NAPIT as it's members that are certified - not the whole firm and members have to commit to being 2391 qualified within the year.

ELECSA are friendly, cheaper and aimed at the domestic market.

NICEIC are better known.

The only job I've lost by being NAPIT is from B and Q who insist that their kitchen fitters employ NICEIC electricians - which is ironic as all B and Q employed electricians are NAPIT!However an NICEIC AC company can employ a trained monkey and do a poor job. A large firm can cherry pick jobs for assessment - the rest may be done by an assortment of muppets and totally inadequate.

NICEIC (or any other) accreditation is no guarantee of a good job.
i do a lot of work for kitchen fitters who are just getting on with b and q, i can be registed with anyone but the fitter has to be reg with napit, and i have to fill out napit certs, which go back to napit and then sent out to customer. thats why i looked into joining napit. said napit loads

anyway

onto napit.

they have 2 scams full and defined scope (cant change a cu with that)

but as a have a DI qualification i can join full scam, and undertake all domestic, commercial industrial, pir the lot, need to get 2391 within a year.

and sign of 3rd party work

does not sound right to me but thats what they say on the phone.

the comercial stuff well most ask for nic i belive and even so reg with napit a DI would not be able to get into that kind of work ( well i certenly wont be attempting it) but the pir is a bit of a worry, how can they say yer just go and do them but make sure you get 2391 in the next year, while your at it go and fit some gas boilers, but make sure you get qualified in the next year

II just wanted to make the point that NIC assess commercial&ind work whereas some other scams dont,

er... if you NIC DI, then your assessed the same as every other scam. so being NIC doesnt mean youve been assessed more thoroughly

Well it seems if you're an NICEIC DI you don;t read posts properly and get offended easily.

and sign of 3rd party work

does not sound right to me but thats what they say on the phone.
anyone can 3rd party I&T and fill out 3 part EIC. BUT, you cannot notify this. not even napit allow it.

taken from napit FAQ (important bit in red)

Can I carry out third party electrical testing & inspecting?NAPIT membership includes third party inspection and testing as long as the member is fully qualified and has the relevant experience to carry out this service and is present at first & second fix. When completing the Electrical Installation Certificate, in the case of a 3-part certificate only the 'inspection and testing' portion should be completed, if using the NAPIT Electrical Certificate you should indicate in the 'limitations' section that the certificate does not cover design or construction. In each case the details of the installer should be included on the certificate.

Please note that this approach should not be used to notify work under Part P as this is not allowed. See the question & answer below. Members carrying out third party inspecting and testing must also have

DI = half arsed mickey mouse option.

AC = professional option.

AC trumps DI.
Your words right there Mr Lurch (I'm calling you Mr Lurch because I'm trying to be respectful).

Perhaps I'm misreading what you've said there, but then again, maybe you could have worded it differently.

At present I'm both an NICEIC DI and registered with NAPIT (don't ask, long story)

Oh. I don;t care, that's what I wrote, that's my opinion, you stuck your opinion down, other people put theirs down. End of, or not, but basically that's what the whole internet is, lots of peoples opinions with the odd fact accidentally dropped in.

Im DI . I was abit disapointed with my assesment. I did loads of revision and the questions he was asking he was answering himself not giving me time to respond.I thought any tom dick and harry could do this. And for