Proximity Switch Shroud / Cover

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to source a shroud/ weather cover for a Balluff inductive proximity switch fitted to some gearboxes:

Photo0499_zps4bee3328.jpg

The switch itself is the silver M8 threaded bit obviously with the grey cable exiting. The part I want is the clear plastic cover that goes over this with the grey lock ring at the back. I've tried Balluff UK where I've in fact got new switches but this clear/grey plastic thing has them stumped!

The kit originally came from Italy so going back and asking them is one option though that to date has been a bit fraught. The OMM for instance contained the data sheet to a different switch type to that fitted etc.

Thanks in advance.

Canoeboy said:
+1 Concur - Unless the shroud is more for mechanical / abrasives protection

Cant you just get some UPVC Grey pipe or PolyProp and make something up with that ?
But the cable's not protected. If you wanted mech protection you'd be going down the route of a box to cover the lot and some form of conduit?

Cheers for the replies and suggestions. It's for a bit more support/protection where the cable is hard wired into the switch body but mainly to protect the threads of the sensor body - lots of mineral oil flying around when the screws on the lift table get greased - it's very thick for oil and dries quite "resinous". Heatshrink gets my vote I think!  

The proximity switch in your picture doesn't look like there's very much contamination around, we also occasionally make up boot covers from an appropriately sized piece or two of silicon tubing

The proximity switch in your picture doesn't look like there's very much contamination around, we also occasionally make up boot covers from an appropriately sized piece or two of silicon tubing
 These are brand new gearboxes so everything is lovely and clean. Also external on a roof. The lift screws have to be regularly oiled.