Remember These?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes remember them well.

Remember seeing a smoothing iron plugged into one !!!!!

The essential "extra" being rewireable plug in BC lamp base "plugs"

I remember one that had a built in switch for the lamp, so you could leave the light switch turned on to feed the appliance plugged in, and be able to turn the light off if you wanted to.  Is that a pull switch on the first picture for that very purpose?

Earthing, or polarity for that matter didn't seem to trouble people back then.

But I'm old enough to remember tv's and radio's rated for 250V ac/dc, meaning they didn't have a transformer, but everything worked directly from the (rectified) mains input.

The other gems I have in my collection are a rewireable 13A plug that has a 13A socket built into it's top, so you could stack as many as you wanted to into a single 13A socket, and a 3 way adapter that converted a 15A round pin plug to three 13A square pin sockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall the old 2 (round) pin plugs / sockets, unfused - the sockets ( trailing variety) were small:

mAmidOJHI0xnjq55sPxSseQ.jpg

Those adaptors sometimes came with plugs attached - we had one of the old ( P29 ?) round pin plugs, with a string attaching it to a socket adaptor for a BC lampholder - ...................

Couldn`t find a pic, but we had 4 way adaptors for these plugs - but you had to use the flat type, not the round ones ( I remember wiring those round plugs as a kid..... you pushed the pin up, it was like a split pin inside - you fed the wire through the middle of the pin, and pushed it back down, where the two sides compressed onto the conductor - then screw the top on, without cross-threading it :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats that Stepps ?   Your lighting loop test adaptor ?   

I remember those things in Richard 1X ,s  post .   As said ,  the light bulb in one and the iron in the other .   

My avatar picture isn't I guess that uncommon but when I ripped it off a wall nearly 30 years ago I lifted the floor boards below and found the "egg box" it came in along with all the other electrical fittings packaging I guess from when they changed from gas mantles to electric lighting. For some reason I put it back in the box and kept just this one. If it wasn't for the packaging I'd have binned it: 

Photo0255.jpg

Photo0257.jpg

Latest posts