Reminder to take care guys

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Venture!

Reaction score
Called in to a house this evening to quote for fitting an extractor fan in the shower room. Customer wanted the vent taken out through either the soffit board or a vented roof tile. After a quick look at the soffit pretty sure it's made of asbestos insulating board. (I know I cannot say for certain without having it tested but saw enough of that stuff in various factories and studios over the years to make me very aware of it.)

Dont want to preach to the converted but a reminder of the other hazards we face doing what we do. 

Yep Well worth the post , just not worth it .  We used to do electrics for a bathroom fitters ....did the lights & fan .....opened the window to look at the soffit , looking suspiciously like asbestos , phoned it in to their office .  "Just drill it , it won't be asbestos "   Yeah right .  Left it with them to sort .   

I declined a rewire on what was obviously a prefab house as I strongly suspected all the wall panels were asbestos.  The owner looked shocked that I could suggest such a thing. Surely someone living in an asbestos prefab must know what it's made of and know not to go poking about at the fabric of the building?

Yep Well worth the post , just not worth it .  We used to do electrics for a bathroom fitters ....did the lights & fan .....opened the window to look at the soffit , looking suspiciously like asbestos , phoned it in to their office .  "Just drill it , it won't be asbestos "   Yeah right .  Left it with them to sort .   
Yes , a lot of them were asbestos.

Latest posts