Rivnut Tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a rivnut/clinchnut set from RS great tool but you have to use specific drill sizes if your doing it correctly ie 7.8, 9.6 ect.

Well, I thought I better take the rivnut idea to it's logical conclusion and try it in a back box. Might be of some use to someone else thinking of investing in one. I had a go first on a loose 1G Appleby - they're a pain as in the multiple knockouts in the back leave only really the centre hole as an option for the rivnut. The corner holes - well you can't get the tool in!

The component parts of the rivnut tool alongside an M4 brass screw:

PC290021.jpg

PC290028.jpg

No chance in the corner hole:

PC290036.jpg

But no problem in the middle:

PC290034.jpg

PC290038.jpg

And all "clinched" (I'm loving the word "clinch") up:

PC290039.jpg

So to the problem back box, easier to place the rivnut in this old box as the multiple knockouts in the back are spaced differently. Drilled through the steel back then into the stocks behind with a masonry bit. Removed the dust etc:

PC290049.jpg

PC290050.jpg

PC290056.jpg

Yes, it might have been easier to replace the back box but as I say to the missus, if you don't try these things you'll never know if they work!  ;)  No decor was harmed in this process either. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice post OnOff, it's good to see the problem followed through to a resolve with pictures,great post you could of easily just posted without pictures but don't think it would have been half as interesting to those of us without such tools.