Security Lantern

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenveg

Reaction score
Hi, 

I am new to this site, and I would appreciate some help. I would like to install a pir security lantern at the front of my bungalow. I would ideally like to route the cable through the wall, into the cavity and into the loft. The cable would travel up the cavity about two feet. The cavity is insulated with a fibre sort of material. I think that this may cause a problem. I do not really want to drill through both walls, as I think the cable would show inside the house wall.

Regards.

And your question is?

Why don't you come straight out the soffit and into the light fitting, there would be not much cable showing, and you could use a nice bit of FP200 cable to do the job.

How do you intend to connect the fittings up? Is this a timber framed house or block and brick construction?

Not trying to be a pain but are you competent to do the job. I am sure I don't need to point out the obvious but electricity hurts when it is not done right.

Please don't be put off, and keep psting and we will help you come to an informed decision.

I am not an electrician, I have worked in engineering all my life, up to retiring. I installed a security light in my drive a while ago, and have done small electrical jobs myself. My bungalow is constructed of brick and breeze block. I intend to wire up to a junction box in the loft with 3 x 1.5 mm2 cable. I really do not want any cable showing. When I installed the light in my drive, I used string and chain to lower down the cavity from within the loft, but that was before I had the cavity insulated. Is there a way to go up the cavity instead of down.

You could always drill through the wall at an upward angle poke a thin flex cable through go up into the loft and "fish" for the cable using a bent wire coat hanger. It can take time but it does work.

You can then use the flex as a draw wire to pull in what ever cable you are using.

I drilled an upward angled hole in the outside wall as suggested. I then fed a length of flat plastic, about 12mm x 2mm up the cavity, and into the loft. I taped the cable to the end of the plastic, and pulled it through. It was easier than I thought. I connected the cable to a junction box in the loft. Job done, many thanks.

Did you put an isolator in generally an idea to so you can isolate light easily if it goes faulty.

I generally find I get the awkward ones where cavity is blocked glad it worked out OK.

Thank you for the feedback. Its always nice to hear how a problem was resolved.

Doc H.