single light circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
how would you wire a circuit for downlights in just one room would you wire it the normal way using a switch wire or just run the live and neutral into the light switch and onto the lights?

My choice would be to run the switch live down as im not a lover of neutrals behind swicthes, usually on a connector block. but I think its a case of what ever works for you.

how would you wire a circuit for downlights in just one room would you wire it the normal way using a switch wire or just run the live and neutral into the light switch and onto the lights?
For downlights I wire into the switch and then onto light. I use pushfit connectors in switch. But i don't think it matters the advantage of wiring into switch you have less cables at first downlight.

Batty

customer want the 10 downlights on a 2 gang dimmer now so they can have some off some on.guess ill have go with loop in loop out.

or can i wire into the switch as normal for the first gang then take a feed from the first gang to feed the second gang?good practise bad practise?

customer want the 10 downlights on a 2 gang dimmer now so they can have some off some on.guess ill have go with loop in loop out.or can i wire into the switch as normal for the first gang then take a feed from the first gang to feed the second gang?good practise bad practise?
whatevers easier.....I know what you mean about bad practice, just does n't quite seem right..If switches were meant to have neutrals in them then why not make em that way?

gone for loop in loop out junction boxes in loft all acessable. Would feel dirty doin it the other way lol