So How Will This Affect You?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are actually numerous reasonable grounds that an employer can give for not granting flexible working. The right of an employee to request flexible working is not a guarantee that flexible working must be offered. In some cases it could flag you up as a trouble maker and drop you down the list when promotions and or internal vacancies arise. Of course for all of those who are self employed it has no relevance what so ever. I am not convinced that the economy is so strong yet that many employees have much leverage over their employers.

Doc H

Won't affect me at all as I'm self employed so I set my hours already.

But all I can say for employees is about time too.

In a previous employment, in the good times, at each years annual review, I would be given a pay rise and a bonus.  One year I tried to negotiate that instead of having a pay rise, I had a pro rata increase in my annual holiday allowance.  the look and response from my boss you would have thought I had just made an improper suggestion involving his mother.  I had to just take the pay rise and that was that.

It's that sort of inflexibility of employers that makes me very glad to be self employed, and hope I never have to go back to being an employee.

Last edited by a moderator: