Standards Improving After Part P

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_the_rich

Sock Muncher
Reaction score
Just had my niceic inspection visit. Really nice bloke who has been inspecting for yonks. He did say that standards have greatly improved since the advent of part P. Beforehand, time-served ACs were commonly making all sorts of mistakes. Now 90% of businesses are compliant.

Comments? :)    :run

So that's standards of assessment improving?  NOT actual standards of on the job work improving?

And anyone found any comparison with electrical accidents comparing Scotland to the rest of the UK over the last 10 years?

standards amoungst the registered may well have improved, but it's the unregulated ie builders, that are probably causing most issues??

Would be good to ask your assessor if he has any figures Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure the standard of work isnt still the same, but their pass criteria has changed from 'work must be done correctly' to 'must be capable of paying membership fee'?

I've come across a fair number of commercial site sparks who openly admit they "don't really do domestic". When it comes to the do's and don'ts of Building Regs they are sometimes a bit clueless. More a case of them getting a good guide to the building regs than reading Part  P I think.

I've come across a fair number of commercial site sparks who openly admit they "don't really do domestic". When it comes to the do's and don'ts of Building Regs they are sometimes a bit clueless. More a case of them getting a good guide to the building regs than reading Part  P I think.
I have heard of a few top sparks packing it in and taking early retirement rather than going back to "school".

I was just surprised that the figure was so high, I would have thought 1 in 3 or 4 with the number of 5WWs ( :facepalm:  ) around. But these were all ACs before part p.

genuine bloke, nothing scripted. Not saying this because he might be reading this and pick me up on it next year either. honest.

Ah so clearly what he was implying is that off the AC registered members 90% were satisfactory, however he did not care to mention the % of total members that were satisfactory? So if the niceic have a make up of 80% DI and 20% AC then it's not looking so good?

Statistics are nothing without facts.

Ah so clearly what he was implying is that off the AC registered members 90% were satisfactory, however he did not care to mention the % of total members that were satisfactory? So if the niceic have a make up of 80% DI and 20% AC then it's not looking so good?

Statistics are nothing without facts.
pretty sure he assesses both ACs and DIs, so it would be a snapshot of the membership from the coalface, so to speak.

This thread is certainly lacking in facts though, agreed, although there are wise words said.

Round here DI & AC guys used to be different.

AC guy was otherwise engaged, changed jobs, so I was asked if DI guy could come, didn't bother me.

I think it bothered him though, as he had no idea about most of what I did!!!

Also, he struggled to find something I didn't know about.

Told him a few things that he didn't know, so he couldn't wait to leave.

Ours was last month. Again the guy was very pleasant. He said standards were being met but the general workmanship was falling.

I did a thread a while ago bordering on what OnOff has raised here.

Over the years I've found that the self employed sparks and sparks who work for small firms are far more knowledgable and adaptable  than sparks working for the giants of the industry.     In general .

And I think with the advent of Phart Pwew focusing minds , the gap will be greater.

In the previous thread I'd come across sparks working for a big contractor at a certain chocolate factory....they were brilliant at wacking in miles of 12"  X 3" segregated trunking ,  all brackets , threaded rods & setting ...leave you standing .     But I found they were'nt thinkers, planners , problem solvers , they were told what to do each day . 

I think if you took them out of their comfort zone , put them with a small firm, sent them out in the van  on their own to various jobs , they would come up sadly lacking I'm afraid .

I can say this because I once went on loan & worked with them at the above ,  and later when things had changed, we employed some of these type guys .   You soon realises that it was no good sending them out alone to start a job, or do a small job somewhere....... they were only happy (& useful)

hanging tray , trunkning , miles of steel conduit .   

Useless at phoning in ,   just run out of material because you were not backing them up every day .

Anything where you just need a spark to go out & sort it ...we learned to send our regular guys.

I also made the point that when I went on loan to this large firm ......... the two of us were as welcome as two pharts in a spacesuit by the ignorant barstewards ...........so much for the  Comrades of the Brotherhood ...........ETU   ?..........Extreme Tossers United more like .  

I did a thread a while ago bordering on what OnOff has raised here.

Over the years I've found that the self employed sparks and sparks who work for small firms are far more knowledgable and adaptable than sparks working for the giants of the industry. In general .

And I think with the advent of Phart Pwew focusing minds , the gap will be greater.

In the previous thread I'd come across sparks working for a big contractor at a certain chocolate factory....they were brilliant at wacking in miles of 12" X 3" segregated trunking , all brackets , threaded rods & setting ...leave you standing . But I found they were'nt thinkers, planners , problem solvers , they were told what to do each day .

I think if you took them out of their comfort zone , put them with a small firm, sent them out in the van on their own to various jobs , they would come up sadly lacking I'm afraid .

I can say this because I once went on loan & worked with them at the above , and later when things had changed, we employed some of these type guys . You soon realises that it was no good sending them out alone to start a job, or do a small job somewhere....... they were only happy (& useful)

hanging tray , trunkning , miles of steel conduit .

Useless at phoning in , just run out of material because you were not backing them up every day .

Anything where you just need a spark to go out & sort it ...we learned to send our regular guys.

I also made the point that when I went on loan to this large firm ......... the two of us were as welcome as two pharts in a spacesuit by the ignorant barstewards ...........so much for the Comrades of the Brotherhood ...........ETU ?..........Extreme Tossers United more like .
I think that is fair to say of most sparks. You get in a zone of getting really good at working at a specific area of the industry. Yes you can put your hand to anything but it may just take that little bit longer. Your post flipped on it's head would be the guys doing the trunking complaining about getting a 'jobbing' spark in and he was no good because he was too slow and had been doing far too much jobbing and not enough heavy installation

Rob_the_rich, on 14 Dec 2015 - 2:59 PM, said:Just had my niceic inspection visit. Really nice bloke who has been inspecting for yonks. He did say that standards have greatly improved since the advent of part P. Beforehand, time-served ACs were commonly making all sorts of mistakes. Now 90% of businesses are compliant.

Comments? :)    :run

So what the hell where the useless NICEIC inspectors doing before the invention of Part P?

Latest posts