Steps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this 3 points of contact business? :innocent

So GRP does not like being outside.  Why is that then? are these GRP steps made of some inferior GRP that doesn't like getting wet or doesn't like the cold?  My GRP boat has lived outside for the last 36 years, probably floating in the sea all summer and sitting on it's trailer in the winter. And I have just fitted GRP valleys on my new house.  Perhaps it's time to tell the step makers that GRP is actually quite durable stuff.
Ok. For 12 months I had a set of steps kept in the van and a set on the roof. Both purchased at the same time from the same place. The difference was as clear as day. I am unsure whether or not there are different grades of GRP. I have no idea but I know what I saw. I also know that boats and the like last much longer when stored indoors when not in use. Maybe it is the way they are manufactured.

Another point they do not take being ratchet strapped down very well either. Splinter very easily.

I have a 5 step and a two step.

Rarely use the 5 step. It was forced upon me, it's heavy and unwieldy bit like dragging around a dead horse!

2 step is great works for 90% of my jobs it's only the Georgian terraces where I need the dead horse!

5 step is a fibre abri and 2 step is a fibre marko

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use steps very often. I used to have a set of 2 tread steps that I used a lot, until someone flattened them after jumping out of a loft onto them. They are next on my list of things to buy I think.

I hate steps, they just get in the way. I have some collapsible steps that I got when I was in the car most of the time, I wish I had got some sooner.

Lurch,,,, now you've got me thinking..

I recently borrowed a set of these whilst on a job,,, they were great - solid and just about the right height for ceilings

steps1.JPG

but I've just seen these which IMHO would be a better option

steps.jpeg

I'll just do another repair to my combis and order the 3 step I think

That is the Copy of my Little Giant 4 runger

I just feel the 3 hinge versions are too flexible
Mate of mine has the 3 hinge version thing. It is horrible, you need to open it up outside or in a large hall so no good for domestic. It is also heavy and cumbersome, not very comfortable either for any extended periods of work.