Supply To Flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some retail premises in our local town, the upper three floors are being converted into flats (all planning permission etc in place). They dont have any utility supplies at all. Is there an easy way for me to supply the flats from my retail premises below with a prepayment meter that can be topped up in the normal way or do I have to get DNO involved to give me separate supplies? I don't want to risk me metering the power and asking for payment, I'd want it all independent from that point of view.

Any advice gratefully received.

J

you can have your own private meters to the flats however there are some laws around the charging - basically you can't make a profit from it and only sell it for what it costs to buy it

would be best to get DNO / meter company involved and get individual meters so each flat is responsible for their own use

Obviously the other downside to sub metering and charging them yourself, is that the tennents would then have no choice in tarriffs, maybe that wasnt a big issue 10-15 years ago, but now you can have things like agile or tracker which some people can save a significant amount on over standard tariffs, etc

You'll probably find that the DNO will want to dig up the pavement, years ago they would have probably looped services for the flats off the 3 phase head for the business, but they don't like to do things like that anymore, so it'll either be a separate supply from the road, or an upgrade of your existing cable and fitting a multi-service distribution unit aka. ryefield board/bemco board. Don't expect them to in-instate the surface properly... NPG are a law unto themselves, have a look at what they did to the newish flagstones on the corner of market street/church street after I reported that we'd lost L2 to one of the retail units there :eek:

you can have your own private meters to the flats however there are some laws around the charging - basically you can't make a profit from it and only sell it for what it costs to buy it

would be best to get DNO / meter company involved and get individual meters so each flat is responsible for their own use
Thats pretty much what I thought and I'm sure it will be better to be completely isolated from it in every way.

Thanks - J