Wiring Diagram Barn / Workshop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guy's it is a new day , lets start afresh , I am attaching a revised drawing that I am going to hand to the Electrician and say this is basically  what I would like to be done , then we will walk round together and discuss the matter in hand , all I am trying to do is have a basic drawing that he will understand , it will not be a definitive drawing .

I am going to have the work done in 2 stages ( first lines off the 63A RCD cu ) because I can afford to have it all done at one time .

So gentlemen if you want to comment on my latest attempt pls do .

View attachment 7500

My ONLY comment is get this reviewed onsite with minimum 3 competent sparks and make sure they quote "like for like" and all commit to providing you an EIC and LABC Part P certification....

So gentlemen if you want to comment on my latest attempt pls do

Just wow.

Have you read anything posted in this thread?

Why would anyone bother to give you any constructive criticism, you ignore it and do what you want anyway whilst moaning all the way.

Have read this whole thread in dismay, you have been advised several times on this thread, but just to keep it nice and simple, just give the spark a general layout drawing of where you want the sockets, switches and lights and let him get on with it.

I don't know any spark that would take this on with you ( a non spark) dictating the design to that detail.

In that case, as previously mentioned, I'd personally simplify the drawing and at least omit the cable sizes and references to circuit characteristics like radials / rings and mcb sizes.

By all means specify what lighting and how many sockets etc' that you want, but let the electrician do the sums.

It's what we do, it's what we've trained to do.

Having multiple quotes will quickly show up if anybody is over / under quoting, and reading their quote details will give you an indication if they are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

You're still in control of what does and doesn't happen, and you still have the final say.

roys..

That's not a million miles from what I said yesterday before I lost the will to live...

Bin the RCD units

fit a unit with a main switch and have an RCBO for every circuit

in my opinion a single RCD unit controlling more than one circuit is non compliant as you have not 'designed and installed circuits to minimise inconvenience......yard yahda yahda'

unless you consider and earth fault on ONE circuit tripping the supply to EVERYTHING on that board as not being inconvenient

just saying

See post 54 , already answered it for you 

you said in post 54 that the sparky would be doing it, in which case they would be doing the design, so WTGrape are you still here for?

as for 12 of us again 1, have you ever thought that maybe the 12 of us are right, and you are wrong?

but anyway, get on with it yourself, you clearly know better than anyone else. still wondering why you are not doing the construction and I&T of it anyway since us mere sparks are not good enough

From my many years of experience of being told by customers that they know far more about design and installation than I do I've formulated a plan.

Other than that just walk away and don't look back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beetyboop..

Now, i know you are having a stab at designing this installation, but honestly, you are wasting your time.. Whoever goes to install it, will obviously want to do all the cable sizing and the myriad of other calculations themselves for the following reason; They know full well, that if they install the thing as YOU have designed, AND and at final inspection it does not comply, [more on this later] then, they WILL NOT energise the thing, and you will not be a happy bunny, and presumably refuse to pay them.

Now, as anyone capable of doing the design work will obviously have the common sense to realise this, they will want you to sign, as BS7671 requires, that YOU PERSONALLY are responsible for the design. IF THEN it turns out not to comply, they will sue you to get paid AND WIN. But who wants the hassle???

Nobody sensible will do it....

So you say you got an HNC in mechanical engineering?? So tango'd what, there are people on here with TWO degrees, one in electrical and one in mechanical..

Now, you seem to be a bit "hung up" on this idea of "final inspection" You do realise that it does not quite work like that, the process of inspection is a continual one all through the process of actually installing stuff. You do not just complete an installation then fart about with a meter for a bit and pronounce it is "ok" It is not as simple as that.

So, as i have shown, the installer will have do do all the calcs anyway, so you are not going to save anything, just complicate matters..

Stick to what you know.. I can calculate deflections of beams, reactions at the ends, and do BM diagrams, BUT, this does not mean i am a structural engineer and can design bridges..[Hmm, now what is this web bearing and buckling business all about]

Just let the electrician do it all. and then, if it DOES go tits up [unfortunate choice of words!] YOU will be in the clear. Get it wrong and you may well indeed end up "tits up".....

john

Would it be chauvinistic to imply that OP should just make the hot drinks while an experienced fully qualified electrician does the job from design right through to testing ? Bloody women's lib have a lot to answer for... :facepalm:

Chauvinism has nothing to do with it as far as l can see.

It's more to do with dented pride and the inability to accept advice as advice and not criticism.

If we were all omnipotent and omnificent threads like this wouldn't exist. 

Latest posts