Worked for Sky and Cable last 20 years

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac1

Reaction score
Worked mostly for Sky after i done my electrical apprenticeship,better money.Started working for a company that did Cable and Sky and learned all about telephony systems as well

ooh - welcome :D

Why do some of my sky channels not work? They judder and freeze and some say no signal received. The ones I notice most are a few of the music channels that I used to have.

Any suggestions appreciated! I was gonna start a thread on this :)

Could be your dish isn't lined up properly.How long has this been going on

ooh - welcome :D Why do some of my sky channels not work? They judder and freeze and some say no signal received. The ones I notice most are a few of the music channels that I used to have.

Send that dodgy set top box back to the bloke in the pub who you bought it off. :^O :^OGuiness Drink:Y:coat

ooh - welcome :D Why do some of my sky channels not work? They judder and freeze and some say no signal received. The ones I notice most are a few of the music channels that I used to have.

Is it a SkyHD box by any chance?

No - Sky Plus.Any suggestions appreciated!
Well what you described as your symptoms is a common problem on the early Thompson SkyHD boxes (like mine). It all started when Sky recently updated the EPG. Basically, the PSU's in the early boxes are fitted with cheapo capacitors that are not man enough for the job. The capacitors start to bulge and in some cases leak electrolyte onto the pcb.

I know it sounds far fetched, but my box was also a victim. Just last weekend, I replaced the capacitors in my Thompson HD box and all is now fine. (Some caps had started to bulge and there was a small amount of electrolyte on certain areas of the board.) I bought a kit from here. About

Well what you described as your symptoms is a common problem on the early Thompson SkyHD boxes (like mine). It all started when Sky recently updated the EPG. Basically, the PSU's in the early boxes are fitted with cheapo capacitors that are not man enough for the job. The capacitors start to bulge and in some cases leak electrolyte onto the pcb.I know it sounds far fetched, but my box was also a victim. Just last weekend, I replaced the capacitors in my Thompson HD box and all is now fine. (Some caps had started to bulge and there was a small amount of electrolyte on certain areas of the board.) I bought a kit from here. About

It is a Thompson yea :( Would I know if my EPG had been updated?
Oh you'd know instantly. It's a new set of colours and the programme layout / planner etc. is completely different. I think the updated EPG has only gone out to the HD boxes at this stage and only the early ones at that.

How long have you been having these problems?

Do you know how long you've had the box?

Oh you'd know instantly. It's a new set of colours and the programme layout / planner etc. is completely different. I think the updated EPG has only gone out to the HD boxes at this stage and only the early ones at that.How long have you been having these problems?

Do you know how long you've had the box?
Had the box about 18 months. Problem started 2 or 3 months ago (just out of warranty :( )

Had the box about 18 months. Problem started 2 or 3 months ago (just out of warranty :( )
Aint that just typical?

I found Channel 5 often gave me the "no sat signal being received." Also 301 and 302 were like that.

I bet Channels 321 and 322 don't work for you as they are apparently weak signals. (I couldn't receive them).

I got a lot of pixelating on BBC1 in the mornings during breakfast TV.

Oddly enough, the Sports channels were ok.

Which channels are you struggling with?

Do you have a second box at all? Maybe an old standard Sky box kicking about?

If so, give that a try just to make sure it's not your dish or cabling.

whilst were on about sky boxes...

my sky + likes to crash every so often when i turn it on from standby. it just freezes. sometimes comes back to life after a few mins, other times need power pulled.

also, it often says no signal received when turned on. turn it to standby and back on, and everything is normal, or if i go to check signal, both are as should be, then go back to a channel, all works.

any ideas?

Aint that just typical?I found Channel 5 often gave me the "no sat signal being received." Also 301 and 302 were like that.

I bet Channels 321 and 322 don't work for you as they are apparently weak signals. (I couldn't receive them).

I got a lot of pixelating on BBC1 in the mornings during breakfast TV.

Oddly enough, the Sports channels were ok.

Which channels are you struggling with?

Do you have a second box at all? Maybe an old standard Sky box kicking about?

If so, give that a try just to make sure it's not your dish or cabling.
321 and 322 are bad!

BBC is fine. My worst are 365,366,367,372,374,376 & 382 in my music 'loop'

I have no spare box :(

The 'Signal Test' page gives me ~60% signal strength and 30% signal quality

Is it worth getting a satellite aligner gadget and compass and fiddle with the dish?

If it's not lined up 100% it would be a shame to try anything major?

whilst were on about sky boxes...my sky + likes to crash every so often when i turn it on from standby. it just freezes. sometimes comes back to life after a few mins, other times need power pulled.

also, it often says no signal received when turned on. turn it to standby and back on, and everything is normal, or if i go to check signal, both are as should be, then go back to a channel, all works.

any ideas?
have you defragmented the drive recently?

My mum had this problem and a defrag solved it