wylex recall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup

I think the picture on the link only shows screw terminal types which I understand are all made by Seimans in India now, who some one told me have taken over the Electrium group.

Its interesting to see they have opened up the recall to installers now, they were being very cagey and apparently not all stockists were aware last week.

My local Edmundsons insisted they new nothing about it.

I have used a few of the Steeple branded Crabtree ones in the last year but will have a job working out where they went!

Just what you need, and i bet there will be no compensation for time to locate and replace them!

Just what you need, and i bet there will be no compensation for time to locate and replace them!
Just what I was thinking, doubt they'll do advance replacements either.

'Scuse me, remember that board I changed, I need to borrow some of the MCB's for a few days' Yeah right, might as well just change the MCB's myself and send the faulty ones back for a refund. No idea which MCB's in the 'big box of MCB's' are from which orders\kits either.

Interesting that Volex, Wylex and Crabtree, 6A, 10A and 16A are all listed. Does that imply they are all manufactured with the same inner workings, then enclosed in different housings? No facts to back up this supposition, just thinking aloud?Doc H.
dont even go that far doc - just different text!

the way i read it, they will be doing the replacements - you just need to give them addresses? (which could still be hard work! i have fitted many boards in this time, some using old stock MCB (non-faulty) and new MCB's (faulty). and my shelf full of MCBs will be made up or both older & faulty MCB's

so how will all of this work.... do we just bring back the faulty MCB's back to say screwfix and they will replace them just like that.. hell knows if i still have all the dockets for the MBC's fitted..... etc etc...

I would think this will cost them dear not only cost to replace but loss in future sales. Personally I do not use too much Wylex although looking back I did fit one board with 6 amp MCB's in waiting for phone call on Tuesday as what they are going to do about it.

These recall products cover a large time span; Apr 09 to Feb10, (or 8 Mar 10 on the Screwfix page), best part of a years work. If you are a contractor who regularly uses Wylex CU's this could be a lot of jobs requiring several hours work; getting access, isolating circuits, replacing parts. If you needed 1 hour per recall job and there were 40+ jobs thats a weeks work gone!

Doc H.

i thought by the looks of it they are going to replace them. Wonder where they will find the staff to do it!

I have fitted quite a few different c/u's over the last year, having just started in domestic work I thought I'll fit a wide range of different brands and see which ones I like, so have fitted a few Volex and a few Wylex along with others, problem is I can't remember which customer got which brand, its going to take me ages to work back through and try and figure out who got what.

Just spoke to my local John Cribbs and they still have not heard this.

Don;t think I'd want a manufacturer to send some random person round my jobs anyway.

First post!

I am currently dealing with a situation where one of these breakers caught fire, and, if it wasn't for the residents quick reactions, could have resulted in a very serious, if not fatal incident.

Unfortunately I am unable to reveal what it is exactly that I do due but, i came across this forum searching for information on this specific topic.

It makes me very nervous to think how many of these breakers have been fitted across the country, and the potential risk posed to the public who have these installations...

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Hi

Cloke and dagger stuff hey?

See other Threads on this, Guy in Scotland had fitted some that later caused extensive House fire in February I think it was.

First post! I am currently dealing with a situation where one of these breakers caught fire, and, if it wasn't for the residents quick reactions, could have resulted in a very serious, if not fatal incident.

Unfortunately I am unable to reveal what it is exactly that I do due but, i came across this forum searching for information on this specific topic.

It makes me very nervous to think how many of these breakers have been fitted across the country, and the potential risk posed to the public who have these installations...

Anyone else had similar experiences?
any chance of some pics of it?

HiCloke and dagger stuff hey?
Lol, no not really, but revealing said information could cause issues with my employer. :red card

See other Threads on this, Guy in Scotland had fitted some that later caused extensive House fire in February I think it was.
Thanks for that, any chance of a link to the post?

Latest posts