wylex recall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still no info on the net.

I have contacted Electrium directly, for their response.

I will let you all know as soon as I receive any further news (If I receive a reply, that is).

Admin.

spoke to the wholesalers today, its certain batch numbers they had to be sent back, i get the feeling they are keeping it a bit quiet until they have more info as to if there is actually a problem.

Spoke to Denmans this morning

Only Wylex AND STEEPLE BRAND 6,10 and 16 A MCBs involved NOT Crabtree main Brand (Plug in busbar type)

No information as to what the problem has been or for how long as yet

Yep, I got the same from Neweys yesterday. Wylex 6 to 16A MCBs in certain batch numbers recalled. No hint as to why or what about those already fitted.

Seems Electrium are "doing a Toyota". The lack of information is likely to do lasting damage to the brand IMO. Most people (including myself) will believe that if the problem is serious enough to warrant recalling stock from dealers then it will be serious enough to warrant checking already fitted items. Electriums reputation is going down the pan as it is, this will make that worse.

Asked at my wholesalers (GFE) this morning, they've heard nothing.

But a group of us (7 sparks) that were there started chatting & we have all had over the past 4-5 months had wylex 6amp & 32amp mcb's not latching.

Wilts in Cirencester had a notice about the recall and said that they will not be stocking until further notice. However, nothing about exactly what the problem is or an associated remedy. Fitted that many over the past 2 years I couldn't even begin to say which properties as I vary my boards between Crabtree / Wylex / Hager.

Local John Cribbs had not heard anything recently about this and still have all their stock of MCB's on the shelves.

http://www.mcbexchange.co.uk/electrium/click on link at top.

my wholesalers got restocked and then was told to check part numbers as they may have been re stocked with affected mcbs!
Interesting that Volex, Wylex and Crabtree, 6A, 10A and 16A are all listed. Does that imply they are all manufactured with the same inner workings, then enclosed in different housings? No facts to back up this supposition, just thinking aloud?

Doc H.

I think these are a version of Crabtree MCBs made for others i.e. Denmens Steeple range and Neweys own range, which both got recalled, but not the Crabtree Starbreaker Plug in Busbar type.

I think these are a version of Crabtree MCBs made for others i.e. Denmens Steeple range and Neweys own range, which both got recalled, but not the Crabtree Starbreaker Plug in Busbar type.
Right, so its the screw connected bus-bar types, not the plug in bus-bar. That would make sense, Screwfix do the plug-in Starbreaker don't they?

Doc H.

Latest posts