Megger MFT1552

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
I was told by my tutor while on my 2391 course that on the Megger 1552 if the batteries are not displaying over 11volts when you switch on the machine, that this can lead to erratic readings if the batteries are reading below this figure say 10.5volts for example. I've not experienced this with my tester but as anyone else found this to be the case?

Yes, you do get erratic results towards the end of the battery life, particularly noticed this on RCD testing recently. However I think mine usually reads below 11v. Haven't heard that before.

Megger suggest changing the batteries at around 10.5v, but even with new batteries mine rarely reads above that:C

Use good batteries. i only use Duracell Ultra in my 1552 and have never had a problem. The reason good quality batteries are better than cheap ones is that they hold up their voltage better right to the end and then die quickly, rather than dying slowly like the cheap ones do. I change my batteries when the low battery symbol comes on (always have a spare set on the van).

Use good batteries. i only use Duracell Ultra in my 1552 and have never had a problem. The reason good quality batteries are better than cheap ones is that they hold up their voltage better right to the end and then die quickly, rather than dying slowly like the cheap ones do. I change my batteries when the low battery symbol comes on (always have a spare set on the van).
I always use Duracell myself and always keep spares

+1

always Duracell,, usually buy a great big multi pack of them when I find them on offer

however I've got Energiser batteries in mine at the moment and they are definately not as good:red card

i change mine when the battery symbol comes on, used mapplins heavy duty might get some Duracell

I use duracell and mine eats batteries well quick. Think its IR testing which kills it the most. Did see some duracell in the wholesalers that were more powerful than normal ones sold in Tescos etc. They were 'industrail duracell' or something like that. Think Li-ion is the way to go for longer lasting but as said above they are abit pricey.

Cheers

Hi m4tty. I will check out the heavy duty Duracells and I'm going to invest in a check box or cal card to be on the safe side as I'm testing a lot these days

The Energiser Ultimate Lithium are good - if you can overcome the phsycological barrier of actually buying them (v. expensive).
they work alright in the 1552, i thought alkaline lr6 were the only compatible batteries

The Energiser Ultimate Lithium are good - if you can overcome the phsycological barrier of actually buying them (v. expensive).
they work alright i thought alkaline lr6 are the only compatible battries with the 1552

+1always Duracell,, usually buy a great big multi pack of them when I find them on offer

however I've got Energiser batteries in mine at the moment and they are definately not as good:red card
Our local B&Q had some packs of 18x'AA' Durcells for five pound somthing... (less than

Because when rechargeable are full they are only 1.2v each instead of 1.5 which normal batteries are. So 1.2v x 8 is 9.6v whereas 1.5v x 8 is 12v which is what it needs.

Although my college used rechargeable in theirs but suppose college results not as imPortant as real life.

I was told by my tutor while on my 2391 course that on the Megger 1552 if the batteries are not displaying over 11volts when you switch on the machine, that this can lead to erratic readings if the batteries are reading below this figure say 10.5volts for example. I've not experienced this with my tester but as anyone else found this to be the case?
Hi Megaohm, I have experienced this, also noticed that the continuity buzzer stopped working until new batts were inserted, no prob with duration, the Duracell pro'sseem to last foe ages. If tester left in van overnight the cold can get to any batts, i just put mine in hallway each night, never any probs.

Cal card great if used regularly and in conjunction with a dedicated 'control' socket near to Cu at home. NAPIT say this is ok for three years between factory calibration if prooper records kept (5 minutes effort per week)

I have got some cal card record sheets done upif anyone would like them uploaded

Excuse the poor spelling - coffee in one hand - one finger typing with other:slap

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Megaohm, I have experienced this, also noticed that the continuity buzzer stopped working until new batts were inserted, no prob with duration, the Duracell pro'sseem to last foe ages. If tester left in van overnight the cold can get to any batts, i just put mine in hallway each night, never any probs.Cal card great if used regularly and in conjunction with a dedicated 'control' socket near to Cu at home. NAPIT say this is ok for three years between factory calibration if prooper records kept (5 minutes effort per week)

I have got some cal card record sheets done upif anyone would like them uploaded

Excuse the poor spelling - coffee in one hand - one finger typing with other:slap
Hi mate. Cheers for that!! I was testing today without any problems and I keep spare Duracells in my bag just in case. I will look out for a cal card or similar and keep a record on a regular basis. ..Mega.