Talk Electrician Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy, Terms and Conditions and Disclaimer for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Welcome to Talk Electrician Forum

Welcome to Talk Electrician Forum, the UK's Friendliest Electrical forum on the internet, whilst you can view all our posts and topics like most online communities you must register to post (reply, or ask a question) in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. We do have different membership levels (called silver and gold) as a subscription service, BUT, this is an extra, and not needed, So please feel free to join for FREE, and then decide if you like our community, and would perhaps like to subscribe to any of our our extra services. Our members offer the best advice in the electrical industry including DIY,Domestic,Commercial,Industrial,Renewables,Health and Safety issues and Control and Automation.

Be a part of Talk Electrician Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Megger MFT1552

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Megaohm7

Megaohm7

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

I was told by my tutor while on my 2391 course that on the Megger 1552 if the batteries are not displaying over 11volts when you switch on the machine, that this can lead to erratic readings if the batteries are reading below this figure say 10.5volts for example. I've not experienced this with my tester but as anyone else found this to be the case?

#2 Smugley

Smugley

• Bronze Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

Yes, you do get erratic results towards the end of the battery life, particularly noticed this on RCD testing recently. However I think mine usually reads below 11v. Haven't heard that before.

#3 sparky b

sparky b

• Bronze Member
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Megger suggest changing the batteries at around 10.5v, but even with new batteries mine rarely reads above that:C

#4 PC Electrics

PC Electrics

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,980 posts
  • LocationClinging to the starboard bow
  • Skills:General All Rounder, Domestic, Commercial, Vehicle, DIY (Self Taught), Other
  • Training:Other
  • Employment:Self Employed

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Use good batteries. i only use Duracell Ultra in my 1552 and have never had a problem. The reason good quality batteries are better than cheap ones is that they hold up their voltage better right to the end and then die quickly, rather than dying slowly like the cheap ones do. I change my batteries when the low battery symbol comes on (always have a spare set on the van).

#5 Megaohm7

Megaohm7

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

Use good batteries. i only use Duracell Ultra in my 1552 and have never had a problem. The reason good quality batteries are better than cheap ones is that they hold up their voltage better right to the end and then die quickly, rather than dying slowly like the cheap ones do. I change my batteries when the low battery symbol comes on (always have a spare set on the van).

I always use Duracell myself and always keep spares

#6 NozSpark

NozSpark

Seaman stains™

• Bronze Member
  • 8,943 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales Riviera
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Agricultural
  • Training:Time Served, Apprenticeship, Other

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

+1

always Duracell,, usually buy a great big multi pack of them when I find them on offer

however I've got Energiser batteries in mine at the moment and they are definately not as good:red card

#7 PC Electrics

PC Electrics

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,980 posts
  • LocationClinging to the starboard bow
  • Skills:General All Rounder, Domestic, Commercial, Vehicle, DIY (Self Taught), Other

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

The Energiser Ultimate Lithium are good - if you can overcome the phsycological barrier of actually buying them (v. expensive).

#8 tom1

tom1

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

i change mine when the battery symbol comes on, used mapplins heavy duty might get some Duracell

#9 m4tty

m4tty

Scaredy cat™

• Gold Member
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

I use duracell and mine eats batteries well quick. Think its IR testing which kills it the most. Did see some duracell in the wholesalers that were more powerful than normal ones sold in Tescos etc. They were 'industrail duracell' or something like that. Think Li-ion is the way to go for longer lasting but as said above they are abit pricey.

Cheers

#10 Megaohm7

Megaohm7

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hi m4tty. I will check out the heavy duty Duracells and I'm going to invest in a check box or cal card to be on the safe side as I'm testing a lot these days

#11 tom1

tom1

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

The Energiser Ultimate Lithium are good - if you can overcome the phsycological barrier of actually buying them (v. expensive).

they work alright in the 1552, i thought alkaline lr6 were the only compatible batteries

#12 NozSpark

NozSpark

Seaman stains™

• Bronze Member
  • 8,943 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales Riviera
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Agricultural
  • Training:Time Served, Apprenticeship, Other

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Whatever you do DO NOT use rechargeables

#13 tom1

tom1

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

they work alright i thought alkaline lr6 are the only compatible battries with the 1552

#14 SPECIAL LOCATION

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.

• Gold Member
  • 11,258 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

+1

always Duracell,, usually buy a great big multi pack of them when I find them on offer

however I've got Energiser batteries in mine at the moment and they are definately not as good:red card

Our local B&Q had some packs of 18x'AA' Durcells for five pound somthing... (less than 6 for 18!) :)

#15 Apache

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™

• Resident Vet
  • 15,922 posts
  • Skills:Agricultural, DIY (Self Taught), Other
  • Employment:Other

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

I have always been a fan of Energiser batteries. CPC often have good offers on them

ENERGIZER|SPECIAL PACK 12+12|BATTERY,AA CLASSIC 12+12PK,ENERGIZER | CPC

Free delivery if you spend a tenner too!

#16 sparky b

sparky b

• Bronze Member
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:20 AM

Whatever you do DO NOT use rechargeables

Whys that?

#17 m4tty

m4tty

Scaredy cat™

• Gold Member
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Because when rechargeable are full they are only 1.2v each instead of 1.5 which normal batteries are. So 1.2v x 8 is 9.6v whereas 1.5v x 8 is 12v which is what it needs.

Although my college used rechargeable in theirs but suppose college results not as imPortant as real life.

#18 SteveT

SteveT

• Bronze Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

I was told by my tutor while on my 2391 course that on the Megger 1552 if the batteries are not displaying over 11volts when you switch on the machine, that this can lead to erratic readings if the batteries are reading below this figure say 10.5volts for example. I've not experienced this with my tester but as anyone else found this to be the case?

Hi Megaohm, I have experienced this, also noticed that the continuity buzzer stopped working until new batts were inserted, no prob with duration, the Duracell pro'sseem to last foe ages. If tester left in van overnight the cold can get to any batts, i just put mine in hallway each night, never any probs.
Cal card great if used regularly and in conjunction with a dedicated 'control' socket near to Cu at home. NAPIT say this is ok for three years between factory calibration if prooper records kept (5 minutes effort per week)

I have got some cal card record sheets done upif anyone would like them uploaded

Excuse the poor spelling - coffee in one hand - one finger typing with other:slap

Edited by SteveT, 12 March 2011 - 10:40 AM.
add info

#19 Megaohm7

Megaohm7

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hi Megaohm, I have experienced this, also noticed that the continuity buzzer stopped working until new batts were inserted, no prob with duration, the Duracell pro'sseem to last foe ages. If tester left in van overnight the cold can get to any batts, i just put mine in hallway each night, never any probs.
Cal card great if used regularly and in conjunction with a dedicated 'control' socket near to Cu at home. NAPIT say this is ok for three years between factory calibration if prooper records kept (5 minutes effort per week)

I have got some cal card record sheets done upif anyone would like them uploaded

Excuse the poor spelling - coffee in one hand - one finger typing with other:slap

Hi mate. Cheers for that!! I was testing today without any problems and I keep spare Duracells in my bag just in case. I will look out for a cal card or similar and keep a record on a regular basis. ..Mega.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users