Cheap(ish) Inspection Cameras at LIDL from 31st May

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this last week :) have a look on ebay there a tenner cheaper and same model (not powerfix) but made by same manufacturer. Cheers

I've just been down to Lidl to get one of these. Arrived there at 7.15am and got the last but one out of twenty. Thanks for the heads-up, Sprocket.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 07:59 ----------

Just been having a play with this and found a

Just got one today -quite a few in Lidl at St Budeaux in Plymouth

Looks to be a useful bit of kit - hoping to try it in anger this afternoon!

Thanks for the heads up!

I got last one in stock near me there ok only had a quick look at it though

Tried it this afternoon.

Customer heard popping noises behind the soil stack cover and the socket ring fuse had blown.

After investigating under the bath to no avail I drilled a 50mm access hole downstairs - and with the camera was able to see where a leak from the bathroom had run down and saturated a taped up choc block - cables burnt out. Typical bodge job.

Luckily cables were long enough to be fished out of the hole, made good with maintenance free connections, secured in a connector box with tie wraps holding cable, taped for good measure and poked back in place - bit lucky to find it that easily. All tested fine.

The camera gives a good picture and illumination is fine - but in a featureless cavity it's hard to know what you're looking at as there is no sense of scale or orientation - probably needs a bit of practice. There is no zoom in or out function on the camera - don't know if more expensive models have this facility.

Also unless in a closely confines space it's difficult to control the gooseneck over any distance. I doubt if I'll ever use more than the first 9 inches - which is probably good advice all around!

Overall a useful piece of kit!