£7,000 standing charges!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSmith1682

Reaction score
Hello,
We are converting a former office into 10 self-contained flats (all bills inclusive) with kitchens, showers, heaters all electric, no gas.
We have been offered a three-phase connection from the National Grid, for 180 kVA, an LV Cut Out and CT Panel.

We then approached EDF (large business team) for a supplier agreement and to install a three-phase meter.

The total cost for the year is £19,000, standing charges alone are £7,000.
I'm aware that lots of properties have three-phase connections, some I know are paying around £0.45p per day, whereas what we are quoted is around £19.98 per day.

I feel a grave mistake has been made somewhere.

Looking at the OP I wonder if the supply and metering configuration is the most optimal and cost effective option available for residential purposes, although at £19k per year it works out at £1900 per flat per year which probably isn't that bad for an all electric property

Looking at the OP I wonder if the supply and metering configuration is the most optimal and cost effective option available for residential purposes, although at £19k per year it works out at £1900 per flat per year which probably isn't that bad for an all electric property
On the other hand with a conventional smart meter it could be £1110 which sounds much better to me.

I would still be tempted to install meters to each flat just to monitor usage and maybe allow for a change in the future.

Maybe putting separate supplies for each unit would have been better. Means user pay for what they use.

I've had situations where bills included ment Tennant left heating on all year !

I would still be tempted to install meters to each flat just to monitor usage and maybe allow for a change in the future.

Maybe putting separate supplies for each unit would have been better. Means user pay for what they use.

I've had situations where bills included ment Tennant left heating on all year !
ThTs what we’re going to do with ours for the very reasons you state.

Seen that lots of times. Big Ryefield board installed by DNO, and single phase supplies to every flat. So every flat has its own meter and bill.

Hello,
We are converting a former office into 10 self-contained flats (all bills inclusive) with kitchens, showers, heaters all electric, no gas.
We have been offered a three-phase connection from the National Grid, for 180 kVA, an LV Cut Out and CT Panel.

We then approached EDF (large business team) for a supplier agreement and to install a three-phase meter.

The total cost for the year is £19,000, standing charges alone are £7,000.
I'm aware that lots of properties have three-phase connections, some I know are paying around £0.45p per day, whereas what we are quoted is around £19.98 per day.

I feel a grave mistake has been made somewhere.
The mistake is going all electric. Electricity is four times the cost of gas. It

On the other hand with a conventional smart meter it could be £1110 which sounds much better to me.
Based on what, without knowing the property it is difficult to assess and understand what options are available with large multi occupancy buildings the DNO may want provide a supply to a BNO which does change the landscape a bit for the sub supplies to each flat

Based on what, without knowing the property it is difficult to assess and understand what options are available with large multi occupancy buildings the DNO may want provide a supply to a BNO which does change the landscape a bit for the sub supplies to each flat
At the expense of the end user which seems grossly unfair.

I was under the impression that blocks of offices/flats can NOT have gas, I believe it goes back many years to when Ronan point went up, but I may be slightly wrong.

I was under the impression that blocks of offices/flats can NOT have gas, I believe it goes back many years to when Ronan point went up, but I may be slightly wrong.
I've seen plenty with gas, but, if I was building a new block, I would fit electric only. Saves the cost of all those pipe runs and rads. Modern insulation should mean electric would be relatively cheap to run, plus gas will run out in a few decades.

I do not disbelieve you, it's just that I visited a friend a few years ago in a 4-storey block of flats, and I asked why no gas cooker, to be told "Tower blocks, do not have gas" I then started to notice all the flats I visited don't have gas, I googled and found most blocks of flats do not have gas, and some housing associations have (over time) removed gas from places they own. Perhaps it's just some places.