175 amps maximum demand!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadspark

Reaction score
Went to have a brief look at a job at Cafe earlier. Owner said sockets in Kitchen keep tripping out when they get busy. Every socket in the kitchen was in use. 2 cooker circuits feeding commercial fryers had double adapters plugged into the cooker control unit sockets feeding microwaves. No gas in the place so all cooking is done electric. Only one single phase feed on 1361 fuse 100 amp maximum although I coudn't verify. Put my clamp meter on the tails which were warm and I could feel a slight vibration in the cable. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw 175 amps on the meter. Needless to say something will have to be done.

I'm going to ask him to get DNO out to have a look and see what they can do. It's an underground supply so I know things won't be cheap or simple but it's better than having to call out the fire brigade. bad day explode

me thinks there is 2 options avail here :

Installation of a 3p Supply or

Installation of Gas!

perhaps they where using the tails for keeping the food warm instead of a Hot Plate :p

I would concur, if they are using 100+ amps then they are overloading the supply, the supply cables should not be getting warm, never mind hot!

perhaps they are trying to save money but no using the hotplate and using the tails :p hehehe you know we are ina recession n all that!

I did notice the meter fairy had paid a visit. Just wonder if they left a 6 inch nail in place of the cut out fuse.

I did notice the meter fairy had paid a visit. Just wonder if they left a 6 inch nail in place of the cut out fuse.
I bet you wouldn't be surprised to find that now would you?