18th Edition, anyone got the book or done the exam yet? Discussion on changes.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So having done over 40 years BUT not done the And 3 update course BECAUSE THE NICEIC SAID THAT I DID NOT NEED TO! I am now suitable to go on a 3 day course which IS ALSO suitable for newbies!   WTAF

Well I shall summise their response to you;

Dear Sir,

The reason we believe you are required to attend our 3 day 18th edition course is simply because unless you were involved in the writing of the 18th edition bs7671 then we suggest that you can not be fully versed in such and therefore your knowledge would be equivalent to that of a newbie. 

your comments have been noted and as a gesture of goodwill, we’d like to offer you a complimentary cup of tea when you book your course with us.

we look forward to seeing you soon. 

Regards

Well I shall summise their response to you;

Dear Sir,

The reason we believe you are required to attend our 3 day 18th edition course is simply because unless you were involved in the writing of the 18th edition bs7671 then we suggest that you can not be fully versed in such and therefore your knowledge would be equivalent to that of a newbie. 

your comments have been noted and as a gesture of goodwill, we’d like to offer you a complimentary cup of tea when you book your course with us.

we look forward to seeing you soon. 

Regards
So that’s why I could do the exam only then!

So having done over 40 years BUT not done the And 3 update course BECAUSE THE NICEIC SAID THAT I DID NOT NEED TO! I am now suitable to go on a 3 day course which IS ALSO suitable for newbies!   WTAF

You could always give the gravy train £50 plus vat to become AMD 3 compliant then you only have to do the one day course and save yourself £200 to spend on a proper bender!

:innocent

If you have contact with a local training provider, and they are confident of justifying your knowledge of BS 7671 to count this as sufficient prior learning, and understanding, they you can do the 1 day course, or even the exam only, though, I would not recommend that unless you are very good with 7671.

Also the exam format has changed a little in that the questions are now randomly selected and spread across the whole book in any order.

Would you like me to work my way through it, and post say a change a day or something?

It is relatively easy in the electronic package, because it has the changes highlighted red for removed, blue for additions.

Might as well?

I'll do a little anyway.

So excluding all the pre-amble up to part 1.

Part 1.

110.1, xxvii has been added,  "onshore units of electrical shore connections for inland navigation vessels"

This covers the connection points for things like river cruise ships, canal boats, or river taxis, marinas are already covered in a section.

Right through the document a.c. & d.c. have been changed to AC & DC for harmonisation with the IEC documents.  I am not going to include any changes related to this.

I'm either going to colour the new bits blue, or explain them, depending on which is the easiest.

So if it's blue it's added, if it's red it's deleted, else it will be explained.

110.1.3, iv has had a standard changed BS EN 61241 has been replaced by BS EN IEC 60079 series, as the 61241 series has been replaced by the 60079 series for equipment in the presence of combustible dust, so we have moved away from EU harmonisation to harmonising with the IEC requirements.

110.2 "Exclusions from scope", has a few changes.

(iv) Equipment on board ships covered by BS 8450, BS EN 60092-507, BS EN ISO 13297 or BS EN ISO 10133

(x) Those aspects of lift installations covered by relevant parts of BS 5655 and BS EN 81 and those aspects of escalator or moving walk installations covered by relevant parts of BS 5656 and BS EN 115

113 & 114 tomorrow if I can, because I am working away, but I will have my laptop.

Shall I carry on?

Yes please😃

On one of the updates...15th 16th 17th ( they all look the same to me )

i was an "early adopter" and did the first course available........fricking weeks at college at NIGHT!.....THEN later on I was told that since I had been so keen early on ( along with all my staff, I might Add!). It counted for nothing and I needed to do a second one as there were so many changes ,,,,,!!!.........I very gently explained the meaning of life to them

I'm on the course now with the exam tomorrow. As I'm employed my boss has stumped up for the 3 day training package but TBH I could have really just done the 1 day update.

As usual the course is aimed at passing the exam and I could really do with a couple of hours just concentrating on the changes.

At least the classroom has aircon...

OK,

Content moved to this thread:

I'm on the course now with the exam tomorrow. As I'm employed my boss has stumped up for the 3 day training package but TBH I could have really just done the 1 day update.

As usual the course is aimed at passing the exam and I could really do with a couple of hours just concentrating on the changes.

At least the classroom has aircon...
Follow my thread for the changes.

Shall I copy the changes out of my posts and make them a sticky and just add to the sticky as often as I can?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a blue book ( which I still maintain should be red ).....like Sidey and a few others I have the Online version.

So, IF I do the course online and go to an exam centre to do a multiple guess exam what happens?

i doubt they will let me take the iPad ( BUT that is what I will use on a daily basis) so, will they lend me a book ?

i certainly won't be buying one 😂

Hi all I've just completed the 18th course,personally I'm quite disappointed at the tutors attitudes towards it.

All he did was hand out past exam questions then he asked you for your answers &how you found them,all he kept saying is that these will come up in the city &guild test,not once did he talk us through the changes.

I revised all of these &guess what...not one came up luckily I'm quite good with the book so I did pass but found it quite hard, good luck all

Hi all I've just completed the 18th course,personally I'm quite disappointed at the tutors attitudes towards it.

All he did was hand out past exam questions then he asked you for your answers &how you found them,all he kept saying is that these will come up in the city &guild test,not once did he talk us through the changes.

I revised all of these &guess what...not one came up luckily I'm quite good with the book so I did pass but found it quite hard, good luck all
Thanks for your feedback, if you follow my other thread you'll at least get to see the changes that you were not taught!

Latest posts