2.5mm radial on a 32A? Not right?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious Mark

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at an electrical inspection report supplied by the vendor for a property purchase.

I am assuming the circuit is radial as r1 rn and r2 are not filled out? Any reason this could be a ring main and not be filled out?

It says- Sockets upstairs- ref method 101- 9 points served- 2.5mm live - rating 32A.

From my limit knowledge it doesn't seem right?

Thanks

If it’s a radial it’s not right , I would guess it’s a ring final circuit and the little r loops readings should be tested and filled in the report.

Problem is poorly filled out certification. Most schedules of Test Results ask for NUMBER and SIZE of conductors but a large percentage of people just quote a single conductor even if it is a ring final so we are likely to be none the wiser. Could be a simple error that r1, rn and r2 are missing, who knows, do they give an R2 or R1+R2.

How old is the report?
Who ordered it?
Who paid for it?
Could be some poor sod trying to to do multiple EICR's per day working for a larger company, and missed a box out?
Anyone trying to compete with the "Drive-By.. cheapo EICR" crew is likely to miss a few key points?
As it says it is upstairs sockets with only 9 points it could be a radial and the mistake is writing 32A on auto pilot instead of 20A..
(Other than Kitchens & Utilities, I often put sockets on 20A radials).
9x sockets are good on a 20A radial in my book?
But.. at the end of the day you either need to question the person who signed the report...
Or get someone else in to re-check the results!
A photo of the consumer unit would be helpful?

Thanks for the replies.
To answer some question.
@Murdoch It has been provided by the vendor to my solicitor. I am asking here because I am thinking I may need to get my own report done but I wanted the advise of some electricians first.

@poni There are no c1's, c2's or c3's listed at all. There are no actions to be fixed.

@Fleeting On other socket circuits r1 numbers are filled out but not this particular one. I'll try and attach an image

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-28 221223.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-28 221223.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 5
According to the info on the attached test readings schedule image... The kitchen has a 20A and a 16A radial?

AND the quoted max permitted Zs values are NOT the correct values from current BS7671 table 41.3..
They are actually the rule-of-thumb max measured values from the On-Site-Guide... Which is technically incorrect!

The garage circuit #8 r1, r2, rn values suggest it is approx 45m (+/-3m) long, does that stack up with the actual size of the garage?

Personally I am a bit dubious of those cable installation "reference methods" and the "Insulation resistance" values?

An EICR with NO observations at all?
That sounds to me like a big pile of smelly stuff that is best avoided, not even poked with a barge-pole!!

I think a second opinion would be wise in this situation.

I forgot to mention that this is a bungalow with a converted attic in 2017 so the circuit upstairs isn't all that old, certificate was done in 2021, I'm guessing there should be an electrical certificate for the electrics in the attic when it was completed in 2017? The garage is probably around 4 x 10m.

Yes, no observations, I'll attach. Also there is a second DB outside (in an electric box) for the cooker, extractor, washing machine and ring door bell and a redundant 3 phase wire running under the kitchen floor, that is no longer used, apparently.

The more I write the more is doesn't sound right! I'll get my own inspection done.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-28 233838.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-28 233838.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
The more I write the more is doesn't sound right! I'll get my own inspection done.

Gut feeling is often a very good flag to consider!

As a general rule I would normally recommend that the purchaser of anything expensive... (houses / cars etc..), gets a second opinion from an independent third party they have selected to evaluate any bits you do not fully understand.

The old fashioned phrases...
"Sold-As-Seen" and "Buyer-Beware"
are still pretty good advice in my book!!

🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻

And does the EICR you have been given cover both CU's and all circuits?
Hi, yes there is a seperate sheet for the second DB. I've spoken to them and apparently there were some recommendations that were corrected thats why there are no c1,c2,c3;'s. And apparently the radial is a ring and was written down wrongly, but I am still getting my own electrician in to check.