2 inverters, one install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a job tomorrow,

split roof, east/west,

for reasons better known to others I am installing 2 inverters to one generation meter,

is it acceptable to have them both running off the one 16A MCB with seperate isolators,

or do I really need to have two totally different feeds for them?

I know we have the inconvenience thing going on, but surely the PV install could be seen as one entity, just the same as a general RF is.?

thoughts please gentlemen, (and ladies)

I don't see the problem with 1 install mate, but you may have a job convincing the DNO that the combined inverter current is below 16A?

it is,

only 7 panels a side, inverters are only 1.7kW(or 1.6) each,

Im just stumped as to do I now have to notify twice as I have 2 serial numbers for inverters,,,,,

but TBH DNO only seems to be interested in generation meter S/N

Or a solar edge, which seems the default inverter for split roofs, or east/west installs.

But, if you`re fitting seperates; I`d chuck `em side-by-side, with seperate AC iso`s, as they`re only small, I`d "daisy chain" the inverters; else chuck an extra breaker in the sub-board, and run 5 core AC.... - if you`re with me?

We`ve got a similar coming up - 3 x 4KW in a farm - going on 1 phase - planning & DNO approved. Apparently MY install - I`d have small sub-board; main RCD and 3 x 16A MCBs feeding each iso.

cos they didnt order one!

the householder decided he was doing the specifying,

he specified an inverter with dual inputs alright,

I went to do the install 2 weeks ago, looked at the roof, looked at the inverter, and knew someone had got it wrong!

I then spent over an hour explaining to him that a dual input inverter was not the same as a dual tracker inverter!

he still wasnt convinced so he rang fronious, then SMA,

He cant get a dual tracker inverter anywhere at this time, so its 2 inverters or no system before Dec 8th,

WE have solar edge units - speak to him about it when he `phones tomorrow mate ;)

Do`nt know the cost difference; but if the customer is that "switched on" ( :slap ), then tell him to look them up on the `net - its THE most efficient system available for split or shaded installs ;)

Steps, I've looked into this issue (for install at home that doens't look as its happening as can't get the inverters)

I've got confirmation from WPD that they are happy for a dual inverter install to be done under G38 part 1 as long as the total is below 16A/phase

As to the fusing, the manuals specify that each inverter should have its own circuit protection, so can't have two off one MCB, so best thing to do is take your radial thats comming from the generation meter and was going to feed the dual MPPT inverter. Take it to a din rail enclosure next to the inverters and fit two 10A MCBs feeding out to the two rotary isolators. Preference would be for double pole MCBS, but not a requirement

Latest posts