2 X Ovens-Please Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c4clair

Reaction score
Hi

We want to fit 2 single electric ovens and a gas hob into our new kitchen. The ovens are 13a with a max power rating of 2900w, and the manufacturer has confirmed that they can be fitted with a plug. The hob spec says it has a 3amp fuse rating (?)

Where the ovens will be fitted there is a double plug socket - can they both be plugged into this or does it need to be upgraded? The hob can be connected to the cooker switch which has an isolation switch on a separate circuit.

Thanks

What circuit is that double socket fed from? Is it fed from the cooker circuit or from the rest of the kitchen sockets? I wouldn't want to be putting 2 ovens on the kitchen sockets with the other appliances too.

I'm assuming it's fed from the rest of the kitchen sockets.

What would be my best option, bearing in mind kitchen is already mostly fitted (new house, we are adding bits to existing kitchen and I want built in ovens rather than freestanding one that a space has been left for)

The best option would be a conventional radial cooker circuit as you would have for a normal free standing electric cooker, with an isolator switch. then instead of feeding a dingle cable outlet plate, feed two fused connection units, one for each oven.

But where would the hob then go? Or would this require two cooker circuits?

Thanks
You could use the existing (32amp?) cooker circuit, as prodave says, and have 3 socket outlets from it wired in series with the same cable size (6mm twin and earth I guess), the cooker switch would then switch off all three. Take care not to have the sockets behind the oven(s) since they may overheat if tight up against the back of the oven. Sometimes the sockets can go in a cupboard next to the appliance(s)

The hob you said is a gas hob, so only needs a tiny amount of power to run the ignitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gas hob likely just needs the 230V supply via it's 3A fuse for the igniter etc. You could feed that via a normal plug top into whatever local socket with of course a 3A fuse or use an FCU.

The "cooker switch" is this literally a (big) single, red switch on the wall or does it include a 13A socket?

You don't want any plug socket, switch or accessory etc  sited above the hob or oven and ideally a minimum of 300mm to the side particularly with the hob.

Assuming you have a 32A circuit feeding that cooker socket you can use the one switch to control both appliances via FCUs, BUT neither appliance should be any more than 2m from the switch measured horizontally.

You will I think struggle to daisy chain 13A sockets with 6mm cable - some brands struggle with 2.5! 

If done properly you could possibly extend the 6mm wiring from the existing cooker switch position to somewhere more convenient, fit a new cooker switch there and put a blanking plate over the old switch position.

Worth getting yourself a copy of the IEE "Electricians Guide To The Building Regulations".

The hob you said is a gas hob, so only needs a tiny amount of power to tun the ignitor.
You said it before I finished my post!  :lol:

I was thinking about daisy chaining and enough space in the terminals, you could run 6mm to the first, 4mm to the second and 2.5mm to the third.

If the sockets were dedicated and labled (or if FCUs were used), it could be 6mm to first, 2.5mm to second and third, third being the hob.

Or two 2.5's out of the cooker switch one to a single socket one to a double  :innocent

One of the double sockets for the hob ignitor, one for oven 1, oven 2 into the single socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope he's not using Volex accessories then, ref my comment about struggling with 2 x 2.5mm (thank God for the countersinking bit at spur time):

PC090036.JPG

(Yes I know they're red! For photographic porpoises only).

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

New 6mm Radial to cooker isolater, from cooker isolator to dual outlet cooker plate. Wire in both ovens from there? Create a switched FCU  from an existing point for the hob ignitor?

c4clair,  To clarify all the posts above, simply plugging all 3 new appliances in will work and is ok-except with all that electricity being used by the ovens not much is left on that circuit for other things, especially if you have any of these,   dishwasher, washing machine, drier, microwave etc.

Since you have a dedicated cooker supply it would be best to fit a total of 3 sockets to this circuit for these 3 appliances. This is best left to an electrician. If you still want to diy then we could help more.

If existing cooker isolator with no socket fitted and  still has the cable going to the cooker cable outlet for the cooker you could use this as a JB to run out a 4mm to your required sockets or even 2 x 2.5mm for the ovens but make sure the existing Mcb/fuse etc is 32a and plug the hob igniter to existing ring.

The good thing with the cooker outlet is that its good for 45amp with plenty of scope to get the big cables in.

Latest posts