3-Phase Invertors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Bob

Reaction score
I'm struggling to get an answer to the following question - if you have any contacts that could answer it I'd be grateful.:

As I understand it the DC from the PV solar is fed into the 3-phase inverter which is connected to the 3-phase incoming supply, red to red, blue to blue, yellow to yellow and presumably neutral to neutral.

Assuming the property load is unbalanced (as it mostly will be, but periodically significantly so - car charging etc) then does the invertor detect this and direct the output proportional to the load or does it just evenly feed into the 3 phase DNO supply? So if all my load is on the Red phase does the PV only supply me with 1/3rd of the PV output with 2/3rd going to the grid? Or, assuming there is battery storage on the DC side does 2/3rds get fed into the battery (assuming it's not full?

In other words how does solar PV, battery and invertor work efficiently with unbalanced 3-phase loads ideally prioritising property load, battery and then grid??

I've been unable to get a sensible reply from the suppliers of PV I've engaged and the invertor suppliers won't reply to a query and the distie's have no idea!