3 Phase Vertical Sun Bed .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsoppitt

Reaction score
good evening fellas , a quick question if i may.

Have been asked to go and quote on 3 phase sunbed supply , never done one before so would like to run it past you guys that probably have .

Told that it is a 50 amp 3 phase sunbed situated about 2 m from dis board , so this is how i propose i should do it.

triple pole 50 amp type c mcb at dis board wired through seperate 4 pole 63a 100ma rcd , from the rcd ,  10mm 5 core swa through partition wall to 63a rotary isolator ( ready for sunbed to be wired into ).

Does this sound about right or am i missing something ?

Any advice would be appreciated .

As said I'd check the spec, I think you'll find that's 50a over 3 phases. The ones in my wife's tanning shop were 50a single phase, but could be wired either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you actually seen the specs of this sun shower or are you going on hearsay?

I've done some single phase ones before and they were on a D63 IIRC
Just going on what the salon owner told me , going to see the location on wednesday , dont think the sunbed is being delivered until supply is in .

Have done a bit of online research but alot of contridictions , So just need somebody who has installed to help steer me in right direction as i was happy with what i needed to do until i researched .

Nozspark you generally have a good knowledge , please advise .

Also what is wrong with using 5 core swa , is that not correct?

First off I find it hard to believe that this sun shower will be 50A per phase,,,, it may be 12kW but maybe someone got their calculations wrong????

Secondly,, what cable were you thinking of using from the rotary isolator to the sun shower,,, why not use the same type to the DB as well??? It is only 2m after all and is unlikely to required mechanical protection for that kind of distance surely?

and yes, if it is 3ph then I'd definitely be using a 5 core cable

First off I find it hard to believe that this sun shower will be 50A per phase,,,, it may be 12kW but maybe someone got their calculations wrong????

Secondly,, what cable were you thinking of using from the rotary isolator to the sun shower,,, why not use the same type to the DB as well??? It is only 2m after all and is unlikely to required mechanical protection for that kind of distance surely?

and yes, if it is 3ph then I'd definitely be using a 5 core cable
It may well be 50a full load , so 20a over each phase would make more sense.

So 20a type c triple pole mcb , through 63a 100ma rcd , 2 x 6mm twin and earth ( lots lying about ) run in trunking to 63amp rotary isolator

Does that sound more reasonable way of doing it ?

No.... dont use 2 x twin and earth to supply 3 phase.... get 5 core, its only 2m
ok , sorry just wanted to use what had lying around.

so 4mm 5 core flex and 20 amp triple pole type c mcb

Is that acceptable , or do i need to be aware of anything else ?

I'm sorry, but all this.."4mm 5 core flex and a 3ph 20A C type" is a bit premature when you are unsure of the actual load of the sunbed

Once you know the load work out the circuit properly and then do the job properly,,,,, or not at all

I'm sorry, but all this.."4mm 5 core flex and a 3ph 20A C type" is a bit premature when you are unsure of the actual load of the sunbed

Once you know the load work out the circuit properly and then do the job properly,,,,, or not at all
I dont mean to frustrate you , thanks for your help

Its OK, I'm sorry if it came across a bit cold, but there's no real point in speculating

When you've got the load of the sun shower come back with your calcs and we'll have a look at them
will be visiting the shop on wednesday , try to get more details or at least a model number.

appreciate your help , so worried about getting it wrong , tend to start doubting myself.

hopefully get some more help thursday if your not busy.

As others, you need to know the real load before you can do anything.

3 phase 50A?  I doubt it. That's 34.5KW.  You wouldn't want to be in there very long!!!!

No wonder it's a vertical sun bed, so you can leg it PDQ when you start to burn.

Latest posts