4 way pendant light connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy_fisherman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to install 2 sets of 4 pendant cables to bulbs that wrap round our kitchen beams. I've found a rose but it doesn't come with connectors.

What's the best and correct method to connect these together? the light cable will be the old style material cable. above is a pitched roof (cathedral style) so fitting 4 of these into a chock block I can hide on the back of the beam may be a tight squeeze? are there larger connection blocks?

I'm a joiner by trade and know basic electrics and could probably 'rig' something up but wanted some sound advice first.

Cheers, Luke

Does the "old style" lighting cable include an earth wire? If you are going to wrap them around beams, I would imagine that the exception in the regs for pendant cables without an earth would not apply. Haven't got my yellow book tonight, so can't check it.

A junction box on top of the beam(s) might do the job.

Edit; there is also a regulation that says a pendant fitting should only have one cable coming from it, unless it is designed for more. It doesn't sound like the fitting you have chosen is designed for one cable, let alone two. Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect he is buying old looking pendants and drops and it is those that have have the old style flex, and lack of terminals inside the rose. Perhaps the OP could confirm that is the case?

Assuming that is the case and the fixed wiring is pvc then it's just a case of find a junction box that you can hide on top of the beam, a choc box might do. don't use bare choc blocks.  Can you drill through the beam and pass the wire through to avoid it being seen or are they to thick for that?

Hi chaps, thanks for the prompt reply. working away at the moment so took a while to get back to you!

The cable is new twisted material cable but with no earth so can this still legally be wrapped around the beams?

I also think a junction box will do for the connections which I can hide above my insulation and I can drill cables through the rafters, which will also be hidden.

Can I just have the wires coming from the junction box down the back of the beam or does there need to be a fixture against the ceiling (I've seen 4 cable roses) 

Hard to explain what I'm trying to do so appreciate the input!

Many thanks

Latest posts