50W Outside Flood Light Problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey

Reaction score
I installed 3 outside flood lights all 50 w LED  with a PIR .The lights seem to become faulty atfer a month or so.All wiring correct etc..The house also has solar panels .The flood lights are BG .Any one else has had these problems ?

I think forum members would need far more information. What are the symptoms/problems? What tests have you carried out? Have you tried the fittings in another environment to test?

Post 2 posted whilst I was typing would appear to put the sensor as a possible fault :slap

I think forum members would need far more information. What are the symptoms/problems? What tests have you carried out? Have you tried the fittings in another environment to test?

Post 2 posted whilst I was typing would appear to put the sensor as a possible fault :slap
The PIR is separate from the 3 LED lights .All tests carried out are good .Its the 50w LED outside lights keep failing Has anyone  else had this problem

Presumably the lights fail after a while.

What tests have you done to determine if it's the PIR sensor unit that has failed or the actual light?

If you have had that many failures, the obvious thing to suggest is the units are substandard. return them as not fit for purpose and try a different make?

Presumably the lights fail after a while.

What tests have you done to determine if it's the PIR sensor unit that has failed or the actual light?

If you have had that many failures, the obvious thing to suggest is the units are substandard. return them as not fit for purpose and try a different make?
Yes you are very right,but I just thought I would ask if any one else has had the same problem ?

The driver may well have a smpsu so that would probably have a tx so there could be an inrush, plus you would probably have caps across the mains, presenting a dead short to the supply for a VERY short time, so the inrush may, be more than the 50W load might suggest.

I`ve had a security version fail under warranty - the new one is currently languishing in the back of the van - somewhere - until such times as I go to replace it ( customer saw fit to `phone at 7.15 on a Saturday morning, to tell me - when I`d been on a night job until 3.00 a.m). - so he`s somewhere near the back of the queue :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
timely e-mail has just come through from manufacturers of Photon Star

Reliability in our products

Ensuring you achieve your savings with reliable fittings that last.

When justifying lighting upgrades based on payback, it is essential to be confident that the new lighting will not only deliver the expected energy savings, but last long enough to achieve payback and offer quality performance throughout.

[SIZE=10pt]Click to see payback examples in hospitality, housing, educationpublic sector and health.[/SIZE]

PhotonStar products have gained a reputation for reliability, based on quality UK design and manufacture as well as high standards of testing. The reliability data for some of our more mature products is based on over 40,000 hours of testing on that build standard, and is further supported by an individual test for every product that we produce.

[SIZE=14pt]Our products are designed for reliability; so that you get the savings you expect.[/SIZE]

CeilingStar, and its contractor version EcoStar, is our longest running build standard product with 40,000 hours of test data, showing excellent colour stability and maintained lumen output. Following a recent project survey, we discovered that over the last two years all versions of CeilingStar have seen less than 1 in 1000 products fail.

[SIZE=14pt]What do our customers think?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] "I would like to congratulate PhotonStar for manufacturing and improving a fantastic product. We have been using the Ecostar 500 and 600 for a few years now, and I would say it is one of the very few LED products on the market of which I am completely happy with. In a time when the market seems to be flooded with poorly manufactured products, it is refreshing to have a product like the EcoStar to rave about to our clients.”[/SIZE]

OOH.

Never heard of `em before - but THAT is an impressive claim.

With the recent issue I`ve had with a commercial client ( replaced a load of fittings in his pub, AND his own house - Aurora LED GU10s - black casings - a dozen failed within 12 months - they`re discontinued; but the seller swapped the duff ones for new ( white!) lamps:(

Makes you feel like a bloody arse, when you`ve extolled the virtues of good quality, branded kit that costs a bit more..............