6mm shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why you are saying something has to change??any way...

as Apache said.. Mira Sport? what power rating is it?

e.g...

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/results.htm?sectionName=Electrichttp://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/results.htm?sectionName=Electric showers&filter[bRAND_NAME]=Sport

6.0mm cable, clipped direct could carry 47Amps...

table 6F page 134 on-site guide..

And according to table 7.1 page 50 on-site-guide

a 40Amp 6.0mm circuit (inst method C) can be upto 40m long!

so 40amp MCB could provide power for 40x230 = 9.2kWatt.

So if your cable is clipped direct, the run is less than 40m

and the shower is 9.0kw or less...

what needs to change??
Yes but the cable is also ru through a loft with rockwool insuation which would surely derate the capacity of the cable?

should be a serial number, to ring up or look on web

special a question, say the appliance was put on a 6mm 45amp mcb and the appliiance draws 51 amps, 6 extra amps i dont think will trip any time soon. will it be a prob on the cable or will it take it untill the mcb trips

u never mentioned that, is it on top of the rockwool

Yes but the cable is also ru through a loft with rockwool insuation which would surely derate the capacity of the cable?
possibly 34amps guidance off table 6F...

BUT...

You could always move some of the insulation, raise it above the cable to remove direct contact and allow some sir flow..

ALSO

remember that a shower is only running or a short period of time...

Typically it would NOT have 1hours worth of continual max load running!

OR

What proportion of its overall length is actually buried?

can you not just clip/tack it up onto the roof beams a bit to raise it over the rockwool?

should be a serial number, to ring up or look on webspecial a question, say the appliance was put on a 6mm 45amp mcb and the appliiance draws 51 amps, 6 extra amps i dont think will trip any time soon. will it be a prob on the cable or will it take it untill the mcb trips
as special location has pointed out a 6mm cable wi carry 47 amps according to BRB provided it is clipped direct.

a forty amp breaker would be thereore OK to protect the cable.

However , I am not sure just exactly how to determine how much to derate the cable for it's journey under the insulqation

what i am thinking is that a 40 amp breaker does not trip at 40 amps it takes more?

possibly 34amps guidance off table 6F...BUT...

You could always move some of the insulation, raise it above the cable to remove direct contact and allow some sir flow..

ALSO

remember that a shower is only running or a short period of time...

Typically it would NOT have 1hours worth of continual max load running!

OR

What proportion of its overall length is actually buried?

can you not just clip/tack it up onto the roof beams a bit to raise it over the rockwool?
yes I suppose it might be possible althoug there is not much room for a chap of my stature to get into the space

I know they outlawed putting children up chimneys in the Victorian era ; but what about lofts??

osg has loads of tabulated values, inc length run in insulation, derating for under and in insulation

exacly so if your shower is pulling more than 40 amps but not enough to trip the mcb, will this be a problem?, i am not sure.

sorry if this hyjacks your thread but its related :)

yes I suppose it might be possible althoug there is not much room for a chap of my stature to get into the space I know they outlawed putting children up chimneys in the Victorian era ; but what about lofts??
Guinea pigs are small and we can scamper around tight spaces! ;) :p :^O

Guinea pigs are small and we can scamper around tight spaces! ;) :p :^O
like toilet roles, or is that more of a hamster thing] :)

exacly so if your shower is pulling more than 40 amps but not enough to trip the mcb, will this be a problem?, i am not sure.sorry if this hyjacks your thread but its related :)
the Mcb is there to protect the circuit

if the capacity of the cable is greater than the MCB then it will trip before the cable melts

If the cable is loaded with more than it can take , and the breaker is too big the the cable might melt

I have a couple of Guinee pigs

I was kinda hoping I could get them into the pot before the wife noticed they were gone

I've heard they are very tasty Guiness Drink

Latest posts