8 cores to one mcb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roys

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of a friend asked me as a favour to see why 1/2 his downstairs sockets weren’t working.
Went to his place, took cover off consumer unit, very scruffy inside, found 8 cables into one mcb and unsurprisingly one of them was slack and was melting its insulation and decided it didn’t want to be connected anymore.
I commented to owner about the poor scruffy condition and the 8 wires into one mcb and to my surprise he said it was fitted 6 months ago by a family friend, At that I suggested he got him back to separate out the circuits to their own mcb and tidy it up. Carried out a temp repair and left.
Anyway his spark came round and said nowt wrong with it. I know it’s only good practice as far as I’m aware not to put too many cables into one mcb (I was taught 4) but 8 just feels wrong to me.
I doubt their is any certs and I don’t want to get too involved, what do you think?

Attachments

• 1C6F79B2-6CBD-43BA-8FC1-5CED13FFBFAE.jpeg
    1C6F79B2-6CBD-43BA-8FC1-5CED13FFBFAE.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 2
8 must be a record (possibly not :D ). So that's possibly 1 ring main and lots of spurs, so whatever happened to 'segragation of circuits for safe operation and maintenance', an how hard would it have been to install a few extra MCBs.

Bad practice, but nothing against it .

1 x OCPD = 1 circuit

express your concerns firmly and politely, then walk away. We are not the electrical police

8 must be a record (possibly not :D ). So that's possibly 1 ring main and lots of spurs, so whatever happened to 'segragation of circuits for safe operation and maintenance', an how hard would it have been to install a few extra MCBs.
The thing is there was a couple of spare ways there but I don’t think they wanted to trace out and separate the circuits.

I do suspect that because one 2.5mm was adrift from the mcb and that knocked out 1/2 the downstairs sockets that it is a radial and so should be on a 20A mcb .

Friend of a friend asked me as a favour to see why 1/2 his downstairs sockets weren’t working.
Went to his place, took cover off consumer unit, very scruffy inside, found 8 cables into one mcb and unsurprisingly one of them was slack and was melting its insulation and decided it didn’t want to be connected anymore.
I commented to owner about the poor scruffy condition and the 8 wires into one mcb and to my surprise he said it was fitted 6 months ago by a family friend, At that I suggested he got him back to separate out the circuits to their own mcb and tidy it up. Carried out a temp repair and left.
Anyway his spark came round and said nowt wrong with it. I know it’s only good practice as far as I’m aware not to put too many cables into one mcb (I was taught 4) but 8 just feels wrong to me.
I doubt their is any certs and I don’t want to get too involved, what do you think?
At that comment I would have been out of there pronto telling him to get the family friend back to fix the fault

While there might be nowt wrong with it, it led to a fault occurring so it is clearly a point of failure and needs addressing ASAP