Robbing B@st**ds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to post this as I needed to vent some frustration.

Had a customer call me today their power went off yesterday evening and they had "an electrician" round to sort the problem, but he had left them with some sockets not working.

Called round found 3 sockets disconnected with low IR readings. 2 upstairs, 1 downstairs. All on single 2.5 twin and earth cables. Explained to the customer would need to lift some floorboards to located the jointbox and hopefully find the the issue. Customer informs me they are having a lift installed as their husband is not very well so a lift is being installed and the bathroom being moved.

I had done a test on the working sockets and got readings of less than 5Mohm L-N, L-E. A pass I know but alarm bells were sounding. Entire house sockets are on a 20a mcb,
I suggested that maybe with the other work about to be done a rewire may be in order as I would expect the lift would want to be on its own circuit, and if not sharing on a 20a socket circuit with a fan oven is more than likely not a good thing.

Explained to the customer that the house could be rewired in stages (New Consumer Unit & Downstairs sockets, Downstairs light and upstairs sockets, Upstairs Lights and finally Kitchen)

Now the original "electrician" had mentioned he would have to take the floorboards up to get the sockets working, but would need the homeowner to get someone in to put them back and that getting the sockets working would cost around £2000. At that I said how much did he charge you for disconnecting the 3 sockets yesterday ?

I have attached a photo of the only paperwork that he left. I have obviously redacted the customers details from it. (And the company details)

pic.jpg
So this company charged £4.78 a minute for a 90 minute callout at 740pm. £428.40 to fault find, disconnect 1 cable and leave.

I know we all have to make a living, but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask ! I located the disconnected cable in 30 minutes, tested and devised a plan forward in under an hour. I suggested we could get the 3 sockets working again, taking the boards up new cables and boards back down. Days labour £300. When they said 2000 to get them working I said I can probably rewire the entire property for around 3.5K.

Its no wonder we get dragged through it accused of charging what we like to vulnerable customers with the likes of companies like this. He even said he charges to drive from his house ( 15 minutes away ) !!!!!!!

They are discussing it with the husband tonight and Im thinking they are going to go for the rewire. Im hoping I can tap a supplier up and get a good price for materials so I can try and help them out.

£285.60 an hour. I mean not even Artisan in Cambridge charge that much and Im based in Lancashire where you have very little chance of getting a 3 figure hourly rate even from people who could afford it.

Has anyone else any horror stories such as this ? Is there any point in reporting it to anyone ? The customer never mentioned that they had been quoted anything when contacting the company, so is this just a legal but really bad business practice ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else any horror stories such as this ? Is there any point in reporting it to anyone ? The customer never mentioned that they had been quoted anything when contacting the company, so is this just a legal but really bad business practice ?
24 hour call out costs for obvious reasons,but, I bet this guy is always available...

Have a look at 'doorstep selling' legislation. I don't think it will actually apply in this case as its a callout, however, I think he may have failed to comply with getting customer to sign away the 2 week cooling off period, in which case all monies can be reclaimed. Have a chat with Trading Standards.

Hi, I am pretty sure that group used to try and recruit self employed registered sparks to deal with their callouts ect , they provide the lead then you have to bill their charge rates. I suppose then you get paid a percentage by them .
I,d rather volunteer to pull tesco trolleys out of a Canal than work for people who charge rates like that..
Yours Mr Disgusted from Milton Keynes 😃

Had to post this as I needed to vent some frustration.

Had a customer call me today their power went off yesterday evening and they had "an electrician" round to sort the problem, but he had left them with some sockets not working.

Called round found 3 sockets disconnected with low IR readings. 2 upstairs, 1 downstairs. All on single 2.5 twin and earth cables. Explained to the customer would need to lift some floorboards to located the jointbox and hopefully find the the issue. Customer informs me they are having a lift installed as their husband is not very well so a lift is being installed and the bathroom being moved.

I had done a test on the working sockets and got readings of less than 5Mohm L-N, L-E. A pass I know but alarm bells were sounding. Entire house sockets are on a 20a mcb,
I suggested that maybe with the other work about to be done a rewire may be in order as I would expect the lift would want to be on its own circuit, and if not sharing on a 20a socket circuit with a fan oven is more than likely not a good thing.

Explained to the customer that the house could be rewired in stages (New Consumer Unit & Downstairs sockets, Downstairs light and upstairs sockets, Upstairs Lights and finally Kitchen)

Now the original "electrician" had mentioned he would have to take the floorboards up to get the sockets working, but would need the homeowner to get someone in to put them back and that getting the sockets working would cost around £2000. At that I said how much did he charge you for disconnecting the 3 sockets yesterday ?

I have attached a photo of the only paperwork that he left. I have obviously redacted the customers details from it. (And the company details)

View attachment 16079
So this company charged £4.78 a minute for a 90 minute callout at 740pm. £428.40 to fault find, disconnect 1 cable and leave.

I know we all have to make a living, but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask ! I located the disconnected cable in 30 minutes, tested and devised a plan forward in under an hour. I suggested we could get the 3 sockets working again, taking the boards up new cables and boards back down. Days labour £300. When they said 2000 to get them working I said I can probably rewire the entire property for around 3.5K.

Its no wonder we get dragged through it accused of charging what we like to vulnerable customers with the likes of companies like this. He even said he charges to drive from his house ( 15 minutes away ) !!!!!!!

They are discussing it with the husband tonight and Im thinking they are going to go for the rewire. Im hoping I can tap a supplier up and get a good price for materials so I can try and help them out.

£285.60 an hour. I mean not even Artisan in Cambridge charge that much and Im based in Lancashire where you have very little chance of getting a 3 figure hourly rate even from people who could afford it.

Given that the husband is not very well and having a lift installed there is a very good chance that he is classed as a velnerable adult and has a social worker. Ring social services and ask for the duty social worker and explain that you think they have been taken advantage of.. The local police will also have a department to deal with the protection of vulnerable people, give them a ring too.. have a look at this... https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/healt...-social-care/report-a-concern-about-an-adult/

Given that the husband is not very well and having a lift installed there is a very good chance that he is classed as a velnerable adult and has a social worker. Ring social services and ask for the duty social worker and explain that you think they have been taken advantage of.. The local police will also have a department to deal with the protection of vulnerable people, give them a ring too.. have a look at this... https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/healt...-social-care/report-a-concern-about-an-adult/
And this.. https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/lancashire-insight/health-and-care/social-care/safeguarding-adults/

Ah!
I thought it might have been those opposite Asda at Fulwwod
That will be the company that tried to sell me one of there "insurance" polices on a cold call they reckoned they could get an electrician to my property within 2 hours and it would be a lot quicker than I could find one, they tried the same on my mum when I was visiting her I took the phone call and spent 15 - 20 minutes asking lots of questions before I told him I could do it quicker

dealing with very wealthy customers, but it's fair to say they advertise their prices upfront I believe - could be wrong about that.
And also being available on demand. I believe Mullins did sell out to a US private equity fund.