A couple of questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mouse

Reaction score
Question 1: is it acceptable to modify the meter mouting board or does it belong to DNO? i need to trim off 35mm to allow a new consumer unit to fit, an alernative postion isnt really feasable, because it would suffer impact damage.

Question 2: When running main equipotential bonding on outside of building is it ok to go through the wall sharing the hole with other services e.g. supply cable, gas pipe or waste water outlet?

regards

Mouse

Question 1: is it acceptable to modify the meter mouting board or does it belong to DNO? i need to trim off 35mm to allow a new consumer unit to fit, an alernative postion isnt really feasable, because it would suffer impact damage.Why don't you mount the cu on 2 pieces of batten to lift it away from the wall surface and over the meter board. this will also allow you to bring the cables in from the back without having to worry about the IP rating of the top surface.

Question 2: When running main equipotential bonding on outside of building is it ok to go through the wall sharing the hole with other services e.g. supply cable, gas pipe [NO] or waste water outlet? I'd say no to all three. I use 10mm plastic heating pipe to line my hole for small cables.

regards

Mouse
___

Ref Q 1

If the new board will fit in if you trim off 35mm, i take it that the levels ie. the dno board has ceramic spacers behind it and its that much further off the wall. is it possible to bring a new back board on with to fit your CU out to the same level or slightly further? Hope I explained it the way i meant it....

Ref Q 2

Personally dont see aproblem with the waste pipe option

Macca

I agree pull the cu away from the wall and over lap the meter board, i space my boards away from the wall with cut conduit, the cables are the much easier to run

oh, I get it now, yes ,

it all seems better now I have actually thought about it,

you are bringing the MEB IN.

I dont see any problem with that at all.

I would do it.

+2 I would too. What could possibly be a problem with a cable touching a pipe (insulated) that it's bonded too anyway. Cheers