A few recent ones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astormatt

Reaction score
Not as bad as some on here but bad all the same, got a call as a light had stopped working at our local tennis club.

Was greeted by this

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Burnt cables and full of water from leaking roof! Had burnt through some cables hence the light not working.

Another recent one, even though its in a loft space I think its pretty poor. Only done in the last month.

IMAG0152.jpg

thats one way of mounting a smokie

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:38 ----------

just noticed its your first post. Welcome to the #1 sparky's forum. Why not introduce yourself?

Thanks for the photos and welcome to the forum, although I do suspect you may have been reading since Nov 2011. Please feel free to post more often and comment on any other threads or start a few more new ones yourself. As the Rev suggests, why not say a bit more about your background in our introduce yourself section?

Doc H.

Lovely I bet you enjoyed sorting that mess out. How come they have a smoke in the loft have they had PV panels installed and the inverter up there?

Hi all, yes Doc I have been a long term lurker just never got round to posting anything.

Regarding the smokes in the loft spaces, I don't know why but they fitted them in every loft space in the building with some sort of flashing beacon mounted on the ceilings below so you know that its been activated, the lofts are not used for storage either so are empty.

Those switches were completely shot as the pictures show, so had to shorten the conduits to get a decent length on cables that were burnt through so was a bit tricky.

Also siliconed the conduit entries into new switch to help stop water ingress into New switch and box.

It is a requirement to fit sensors in void area's above ceilings, so whilst badly fitted it is correct to fit them with the remote indicators on the ceiling to show if any are activated. I think any void above a ceiling greater than 800mm needs to be covered.

I think it varies on the grade of system required. You'd expect to find them in the void of a care home for instance, but probably not an office

All's it would have taken for that smoke to be in reasonable order is a galv conduit box, some timber and a couple of stuffing glands. Hardly mega money nor hard work to install.

I thought the requirement for smokes in lofts was to do with if the loft space was accessible??

Also, isn't the smoke mounted too high up in the apex? Surely it's in the "dead" air space and should be moved down the roof more?