A forum with respect!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
You may have noticed a strange upturn in the performance, in relation to our reputation as a friendly forum lately, this is partly due to the extent that the forum has grown, and the inability of forum posters to be honest.

Firstly let me point out that this forum is for all, that means you, and me. Another point to remember is that there will always be some prejudice, it stems from years of training, against a few weeks of class work and some very easy pass results.

To get the best help and information you must firstly be honest with yourselves, some recent questions from some members show a lack of basic electrical knowledge, the answers are then given in disbelief that it was asked in the first place. Which manifests itself as an unfriendly answer, we are not your instructors, we are to a large extent practicing electricians, and as such are seldom trained to be tactile.

To those experienced, time served electricians please note, the assessment process is almost set in stone, providing the standards are met, the assessor can do very little but to allow compliance.

I know you may not agree, but the standard was laid down by our peers, changes are afoot to change this, but it is too little too late.

On a personal level I have met some 5 day wonders who are totally dedicated to improve and more importantly ask questions that can only improve their experiences and skills, they are however honest, and also know that I know.

From some of the latest questions asked, I think I would rather have apache do some work for me, than those who are reputed to have gained compliance through a scheme provider.

For this forum to remain friendly, given the rise in membership, I would call everyone to arms, and post from the heart and never from the ego. The one area where any question would never be ridiculed is the student and learning zone, so even if you have a scheme provider and need to ask a basic question, please be humble, we do not judge anyone, and ask in the appropriate area of the forum.

I am experienced in the testing field, PIR's are like second nature to me, but I also have a network of more experienced people I can call upon to help me out, they know my limitations, because from the outset I have been honest, as a result of my honesty, the help and support I have gained is almost as good as having the world leading experts at my fingertips, and some of the names that I can put forward as my mentors, have people tremble in their shoes.

Respect is a two way street, most people will respect honesty above anything else, to remain a forum with any difference, we all ,even mods, need to be truthful, humble, and above all respectful.

The forum looks like it will grow and grow beyond our initial expectations, I , like all mods will take any actions to protect this forums integrity,and remove, delete, and expel any member who does not fully embrace this forums principle purpose, A FORUM WITH A DIFFERENCE.

Very true words Manator. I'm sure a lot of members of this forum have forgotten more than I will ever know. This is because I started to retrain about 7yrs ago and at my expense because I wanted to. I am old enough and hopefully mature enough to know I will never stop learning in this trade and I've found this forum to be invaluable with friendly advice. I will always ask if I'm not sure, as it's me who looses out if I don't. I have passed the 2391 practical recently and now waiting for my results from the written part. I'm also a member of a scheme ( Elecsa ) as most of the work I do has been domestic related and part p is here for the foreseeable future.

the only thing I would like to add to the above comments is to ask some of the nebies to the forum to search previous posts before asking questions. So many topics have been covered time and again that as the forum gets busier it is taking a long time to wade through all the posts. As a suggestion some praceed (think I spelt that right) versions of re-occuring topics might be useful eg exporting earths on PME. I appreciate this will take a lot of time and effort for some lucky person, but I believe this will help keep the forum 'fresh' for all users. I will get round to making a donation soon to help continue the good work, and my own work, for which this forum has been and is invalauable. As a thought, could we make donations to the forum a subsciption and hence tax deductable????

Admin is working on the suggestion of a subscription, I am sure news will be forth coming soon

Very Well said Manator...I'd just like to add i have also come across some (not all) time served (AC's, Full scope etc) sparks and they seem to think they know it all and are always right even though they are quite often not unlike some (not all) DI's who are methodical and ask questions.

You never stop learning, I learnt something new only last week, i know have to notepad it in my iPad as the memories fading fast!

And the thing with a forum is its very two dimensional so you don't often get all the 3D angles if you see what i mean ;)
Glad I'm not the only one who,s memory is becoming a little suspect ,I now use a clipboard in the van to jot stuff down before it gets lost.

K**in hell DEKE..

You have to use a clip board to write down so that you don't lose the VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you need some bigger sign writing make it stand out a bit more so you can find it easier?

:C :innocent

Binky:

Though I agree with the comments regarding common questions ( and, if you DID spell it right, I have no idea what it means) ; the subscription idea has its downsides:

1. There are many free forums available; I do not believe charging for membership generically is the way forward, in all honesty.

2. Is there a flat rate, irrespective of the amount of use? "One off" posters just won`t come in :(

Maybe the most prolific users could make a pledge of some sort, to support "our" forum? I don`t know the answers - I`m much better at posing questions, or playing devil`s advoocateTBH.

KME

For me its simples.

The forum is open to anyone.

Im not offended by any thread, you have a choice, give a reply to the best of your ability or ignore the thread, simples.

We all have differing levels of knowledge, its a large field in which we work, and we all have to start somewhere. The forum is not for electricians only its for all, accept it.

If you want an area for electricians only, then i suggest a forum where qualifications or a level of acceptance is required.

IEE anyone?
Not yet, but they are looking towards creating a community for electricians and alike, though IET membership will be required.

Im happy with the way this forum runs, as i said you could make an area for electricians only, but would there be a high level of posts, im not so sure.

Sometimes you think you know the simple questions, then comes along an alternative opinion.

K**in hell DEKE..You have to use a clip board to write down so that you don't lose the VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you need some bigger sign writing make it stand out a bit more so you can find it easier?

:C :innocent
How can he loose his van he's got a massive parcel van no one could loose that surely.

Ive lost my mind,

though, in all honesty,

that wasnt very big to start with,

my marbles disappeared round the same time too,

never did find them either,

:C