About To Reverse Over My Printer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a similar issue with TT

I use their supplied thingie to connect to BB as then that is their problem, all my stuff connects via a Draytek, no issues so far,

I also have a ragged netgear, and an old buffalo used as switches, no issues with them either apart from the buffalo dropping wifi constantly, which drives me mad, need something better for the shed workshop

its a brand new hub 3. just don't understand how they can get away with supplying such carp.
You are right. It is not on. It can surely be nothing to do with the fact BT charge you for phone help for network problems. Noooooo!

Printer before my last one got launched out the back door.

It was a calculated decision, i had wasted enough time and decided a new one was easier.

Launching it out the back door in a dramatic style made me feel a little bit better.

many printers can be connected via network instead of usb
correct.

My present printer is a network printer. And for the laptop to print to it, it has to connect via wi fi through the router.

Even before that the previous printer was hard wired to the desktop pc and that also connected to the laptop over wi fi as a shared printer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Printer before my last one got launched out the back door.

It was a calculated decision, i had wasted enough time and decided a new one was easier.

Launching it out the back door in a dramatic style made me feel a little bit better.
A few months ago, I had a problem with my Toshiba laptop. I was on holiday and it froze again, It happened once too often and I knew its days were numbered. We had some people round, I calmly removed the HDD. put it on the floor and proceeded to jump up and down on it and launch it out the door. People looked awkward and shocked like I had lost it but I knew what I was doing.

Printer still playing up. The next day it decided to print 6 copies of the sheet I was trying to print the day before. Still hate it, and the laptop and windows 10 and everything else....

Back with being really annoyed and ready to smash laptop and printer so please help.....

now changed to Sky for internet etc. Not able to print. HP mfp 175 colour laser printer all in one scanner etc. Generally been a good machine. Found it impossible to print. Its wireless, the printer was listed as one o the networks in the wifi settings. If you connected to it you lost your internet.

OK, perhaps the best thing to do is delete the printer and just re install it and start from scratch... yes? 

Windows 10. Plug in printer to USB and it starts doing the smart install thing. Then I get a message popup saying windows "Windows has blocked this application for your safety" or something like that.

tried turning off windows defender and its still not having it. 

tried to fix it using an online fix that was telling me to go on my start menu.... cant even find that!

Back with being really annoyed and ready to smash laptop and printer so please help.....

now changed to Sky for internet etc. Not able to print. HP mfp 175 colour laser printer all in one scanner etc. Generally been a good machine. Found it impossible to print. Its wireless, the printer was listed as one o the networks in the wifi settings. If you connected to it you lost your internet.

OK, perhaps the best thing to do is delete the printer and just re install it and start from scratch... yes? 

Windows 10. Plug in printer to USB and it starts doing the smart install thing. Then I get a message popup saying windows "Windows has blocked this application for your safety" or something like that.

tried turning off windows defender and its still not having it. 

tried to fix it using an online fix that was telling me to go on my start menu.... cant even find that!
can you "ping" the printer from your pc?

HP wireless printers, renowned for being completely useless. I have never seen one reliably working for any length of time.

Windows 10, far too early to be usable, not seen it working reliably yet.

Sky routers, absolutely hopeless. I would not use one, in fact I would never use an ISP supplied router as they all useless, but the recent Sky ones are the worst.

So yeah, no chance of seeing any of it working!

My printer has suddenly decided not to talk to my Mac. Why is something that should be so simple ridiculously difficult?

Rev,

Try to connect the printer to the Sky router first, that will give it a valid ip address in "your" ip pool covered by your subnet mask.

Then you should be able to get the ip address from the printer console, and then try opening a command prompt in Win 10, same as before Win key & R type cmd, press enter type ping then the ip address of your printer.

That will let you know if your pc can "see" the printer.

Rev,

It's in the wrong "mode", your printer is trying to be a "master" you need it to be a "slave" to your Sky router, and get it's ip from the sky router,

I've just stuck Win10 on my Mac for a laugh!

No it's not why I have pc problems, I use a Win7Pro m/c as my production machine.

Agree on the static IP, all "important" devices on our network are static IP.

Mind, that's all of them pretty much as I have a strict bind mac to ip on the dhcp server, so they pretty much have to be static, gonna be an issue if I ever get above 300 devices though!

Latest posts