Absolute shot in the dark........but 5.25" disks anyone read them for me?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windows 7 is a 64bit kludge for a 32bit patch to a 16bit GUI for an 8bit OS on a 4bit Processor by a 2bit company that can't stand 1bit of competition.

You could be wasting your time, all magnetic media deteriorates over time because the recording substrate is unstable particularly true of 'Floppy discs' (name give to 8" predecessor to 5.25"), you may end up with a situation where you can't recover enough data blocks to retrieve anything meaningful.

I remember being sent 5.25" floppies sent through the post, one was folded neatly in half so as to fit in the envelope. another arrived with a complements slip stapled through it DOH!!

Not to mention the chap who could not successful save and retrieve his TRS-80 BASIC programme code to compact cassette (remember those?), because he was recording his voice via a mic ("Line 10", "Line 20 GOTO" etc) and not plugging it into the TRS-80 computers tape I/F, what a plank

Would love to know if you managed to pull any data off that disk..

I have a huge collection of 5-10yr old 3.5" floppies and its 50/50 as to which work or are totally corrupted.

Worst thing seems to be the ones that were in a clear disk box as I think the sunlight has speeded up the deterioration.

Not much fun when you need to pull off some accounts data which you think is safe and saved.

VHS videos are not much different too, i tried an old video of "Salems Lot" the other day which had been lost up in the attic... it must have been the "Xmas" version as it seemed to be "snowing" the entire time ; O)

it took a few reads and tries but eventually got the main data off.

The disk was 40% dead and unreadable but the bit I needed was their.

Daftest problem came afterwards when I read the data I then had to get it off a computer with no network, flash or usb.

Had to revert back to laplink!

For those who are under 45ish this was a serial link transfer protocol.

We had it hard in the days.

Tell that to the kids of today and they simply don't believe you.

"There I was stuck in a shoe box in the middle of the street, dad used to beat us to death every night..........."

For you youngters who don't get laplink you'll not understand the phrase above either.

Them were the days................

Thank you all again for trying

ruddy ell i thought 5.25's went out yonks ago!!!! glad to hear you got ya data off it tho! i transferred all my 3.5's i had onto compact's as soon as i got a CD-ROM compatible PC back in '94 i totaly agree with some of your posts though, im 24 now and i remember getting a commodore 64 and i thought that was all the rage, up untill last summer i still had one Brand Spanking New never been out the box, sat up in my dads loft! and the old git went and sold it on ebay 'i was having a clear out was his excuse' i flipped out at him over that! my 6 year old niece has her own laptop, her own LCD TV which is connected up to a tower system, an Ipod Touch, and a top the range mobile phone (samsung galaxy) and im like WTF!!! she is 6 years old! shouldnt she be outside learning to ride a bike, or playing tag, or playing dressup girly princess's with her friends or like i used to when i was that age go n thrash the hell out of a Dirt bike round a track prooving to all the other lads girls are just as good. seems to me today youngsters are too relient on technology and im more then willing to admit to it aswell, id be lost without me Blackberry, and me laptop. Bring back the olden days i say! give us younger generation a chance to experience life without it all!

Latest posts