Adding New Fridge Freezer To Integrated Kitchen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

We have just moved into a new house and it has an integrated kitchen with a panel of switches on the wall for the cooker, fridge freezer, washer etc . . .

The issue is currently the fridge freezer sits at the side of the built in units and we bought a new fridge with the standard uk plug attached however we have noticed that where the fridge goes it has a wire coming out of the back of the units which has a 3 pin connector attached which I am guessing if I somehow connected the fridge freezer to it then I would be able to have the fridge connected to the switch panel.

The reason I want it connected is currently the fridge freezer is being run from a plug in another room as no plus behind where the fridge is.

I am wondering how I go about converting the plug? I have been onto the wicked website and they have 3 pin connectors but I am wondering how I get the fridge to 3 pins. The pins are all on a row and rounded.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

yer, the middle pin will probably be slightly offset, a fairly common connector.

just make sure it is fused appropriately somewhere

That sounds like a 6A plug and socket for connecting flexes .  As ZeeZee sezz  a pic would be good .
you can get 13A ones too,

I use them a fair bit on electric fire suites

Sorry I probably sound really thick now but what do you mean by is there a fuse for the fridge somewhere?

Also if I buy them is it just a case of cutting off the plug and rewiring? I am guessing this is simple?!

Sorry new to all this DIY stuff!

And if you do change the pair make SURE you put the "male" (sticky out pins) one on the lead attached to the fridge. Might sound silly but you DON'T want LIVE PINS! 

And please turn everything off at the consumer unit while you do it!!

You don't know exactly what the flying lead is so you must take the greatest care And check afterwards that the switch in the panel does what you think it does !