Alarm dialler with de-activated/no landline

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyCatUK

Reaction score
Dear all,

We have a dialler connected to our burglar alarm that, in the past, has rung us if/when the alarm has been activated (very rarely). This has used the landline to dial out. We've recently had the landline de-activated, though.

Question is:

Is there any way the current dialler can be converted to dial us, other than via a landline, or will we just need to replace it with a 'landline-less' one (if such a thing exists).

Thanks in advance.

you can get GSM diallers. or you can fit a comms module depending on alarm

Thanks, Andy.

The alarm is about 10 years old - Honeywell Accenta ADE G4
The dialler is Honeywell ADE Gen4 Informa (fitted shortly after the alarm was fitted)

Cheers

Your current "dialler" is just a speech dialler, so without a phone line, it is of no further use. As Andy™ points out, you will need a "GSM" dialler.

GSM diallers use the mobile phone network to call the desired device. (Mobile phone in your case)
As they use the mobile phone network this means they will require a SIM card (Just like mobile phones do)
The 2G network is not supported by all phone networks, and is due to be closed down? The 3G network will also be going ?
You will need to look for a GSM dialler
The cheaper GSM diallers only work on the 2G network. (Bear this in mind when looking)
You may need a separate enclosure to mount your GSM dialler in (Depending on its size and available space in your panel.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did you solve your "Pir problem" was it damaged cable?

Hi FunkyCat...

My few thoughts and points for your evaluations..

1) We still have a physical landline at our home....

2) We still have a traditional phone line connected dialler triggered by our alarm system...

3) When this needs replacing/updating I would probably be looking for something internet connected...???

4) A quick google, has brought up items such as:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IP-Auto-Alarm-Dialer-Router/dp/B00WF9Q6PW

5) I have no idea how good/bad/reliable the above item is...??

6) But I would be thinking something Cat5 / WiFi connected....
That can call one, (or more), phone number(s) could be a good solution to the "Dying-Land-Line" problem.

7) Maybe worth a bit more internet searching for internet connectivity type systems...?

8) I am obviously open to other esteemed members on the forumbulator calling me a Plonker/Twat/Idjut/etc.. if I am completely out of my tree!!!
I hope the Mod(s) don't block / delete anything if other members do want to use the "Twat" option!!! :):LOL::ROFLMAO::sneaky:(y)

Hope that is of some help???

Dear all,

We have a dialler connected to our burglar alarm that, in the past, has rung us if/when the alarm has been activated (very rarely). This has used the landline to dial out. We've recently had the landline de-activated, though.

Question is:

Is there any way the current dialler can be converted to dial us, other than via a landline, or will we just need to replace it with a 'landline-less' one (if such a thing exists).

Thanks in advance.
If you have an internet connection then you can get a box called ATA analogue telephone attachment that permits VOIP calls. It has a telephone socket and does the job your local phone exchange used to do. Some even accept old pulse dialled connections. My favourite model is the Grandstream HT801 . You will also need a voip hosting service who provide a telephone number, sometimes even porting over your old landline number. My favourite supplier is Andrews and Arnold at around £1.20 per month.

runningpiglet,

Many thanks for this. This is new and really useful sounding info.

Would it be difficult to set all this up, do you think (not a techy, although have seen the inside of an alarm panel before..)?

runningpiglet,

Many thanks for this. This is new and really useful sounding info.

Would it be difficult to set all this up, do you think (not a techy, although have seen the inside of an alarm panel before..)?
The hardware side is easy and the VoIP service was straight forward but entering the software settings for the ata was tedious and took a few goes before I got it right.