Am I qualified to do domestic work ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyZac

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently finished my apprenticeship as an industrial Maintenance electrician. I got my level 3 electrical engineering BTEC and also got an level 3 NVQ in electrical maintenance. I will be doing my 18th edition in the near future and my HNC. I was wondering if I can do domestic work on the side? Am I classed as an qualified electrician as I now do electrical maintenance, installation and testing all at work but don’t know how this will transfer to domestic? Will I need other qualifications to do this ? I was looking to get my ECS card aswell, but was wondering if this would allow me to do notifiable work? Any help would be grateful

Hi guys, I have recently finished my apprenticeship as an industrial Maintenance electrician. I got my level 3 electrical engineering BTEC and also got an level 3 NVQ in electrical maintenance. I will be doing my 18th edition in the near future and my HNC. I was wondering if I can do domestic work on the side? Am I classed as an qualified electrician as I now do electrical maintenance, installation and testing all at work but don’t know how this will transfer to domestic? Will I need other qualifications to do this ? I was looking to get my ECS card aswell, but was wondering if this would allow me to do notifiable work? Any help would be grateful
sound qualified enough to do domestic, but you need to be registered with a scheme, Napit of Niceic to notify works, not ECS - that's for building sites.

Are you planning to go self employed? change jobs ? Or do this in addition to your day job?
Just doing this in addition to my day job at the moment. I didn’t know if you had to haveelectrical installation qualifications and that. I would like to go self employed in the future though.

Just doing this in addition to my day job at the moment. I didn’t know if you had to haveelectrical installation qualifications and that. I would like to go self employed in the future though.

so your first check is your current employment contract - what does it say about working in the same area?
HMRC
Insurances
tools and test kit
Scam membership if you want to do notifiable work
and do many prospective customers want work done in the evenings and weekends ?

so your first check is your current employment contract - what does it say about working in the same area?
HMRC
Insurances
tools and test kit
Scam membership if you want to do notifiable work
and do many prospective customers want work done in the evenings and weekends ?
At the moment it’s just helping an friend out as he’s brought an new house so wanted to give him an hand. Just didn’t know where I stood with it all.

Just my opinion:
I would tell your friend you have checked your contract and it says you can only do work for your company, and also you do not have the test equipment to test it properly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As I said it is just my opinion but your friend will at sometime want paperwork for it, if not for him it will be building control or his insurance or something. When pressed he will tell them you did it, and "he thought everything would be ok" and he will apologise, by which time it is too late. And do you really have an MFT? Best just to stay as friends.

also worth noting that if he's getting planning permission for other work also being done, then it may be possible to include the electrical on that which sorts the part P problem for that job

but otherwise, pretty much everything else thats been mentioned still applies

On your courses did any of them cover design of circuits?
I suspect with your qualifications you will be given an electrician in card saying maintenance electrician from ECS, but you would have t check their criteria.

As said there is more to it than being able to pull in and connect up, best that you talk to some of the schemes for part P they’ll gladly assist with your level of qualifications and application for domestic work.

Hello...
welcome to the forumbulator...

I will just to add a couple of points that appear to have so far been omitted from the discussion...

1/ DIY electrical work is still legally permitted in England.

2/ There are other ways to obtain Part-P compliance than being a registered member of Napit / NICEIC /ELECSA etc..

If you haven't got a copy of Approved document P then download it...
Free Download Part P

And have a good read of section 3 starting on page 9.

If you are intending doing this as your regular everyday work then it is 100% more economical to get yourself registered with one of the approved bodies so you can self certify & notify any applicable jobs.....

BUT..

For a one-off, depending upon what the LABC charge...
It may be do-able for you to just pay them to come out and test certify and issue part-P compliance for you..
(assuming you a sure your work is all up to scratch!)

:)🍺

On your courses did any of them cover design of circuits?
I suspect with your qualifications you will be given an electrician in card saying maintenance electrician from ECS, but you would have t check their criteria.

As said there is more to it than being able to pull in and connect up, best that you talk to some of the schemes for part P they’ll gladly assist with your level of qualifications and application for domestic work.
Yes on my engineering BTEC, one of the topics was electrical installation & testing. Also during my NVQ there was rewiring, modification and testing topics

Hello...
welcome to the forumbulator...

I will just to add a couple of points that appear to have so far been omitted from the discussion...

1/ DIY electrical work is still legally permitted in England.

2/ There are other ways to obtain Part-P compliance than being a registered member of Napit / NICEIC /ELECSA etc..

If you haven't got a copy of Approved document P then download it...
Free Download Part P

And have a good read of section 3 starting on page 9.

If you are intending doing this as your regular everyday work then it is 100% more economical to get yourself registered with one of the approved bodies so you can self certify & notify any applicable jobs.....

BUT..

For a one-off, depending upon what the LABC charge...
It may be do-able for you to just pay them to come out and test certify and issue part-P compliance for you..
(assuming you a sure your work is all up to scratch!)

:)🍺
Once you are an member of the one of the schemes, do you have to pay an fee for them to look at your work to verify it is up to scratch?

Question. It's been brought to my attention that all competent schemes which electricians have joined have recently changed. Even the older electricians with there previous quals now have to complete an nvq level 3 then complete the AM2 to now work as electricians. So they no longer get grand farther rights. Many ev installers prior to last year now have to do an nvq level 3 to satisfy all competent schemes providers so the can continue using them.

@SparkyZac I did the exact same NVQ, and currently work in electrical maintenance as well. I

I too was looking at getting more into the installation side of things. My course was an NVQ in maintenance engineering electrical. But I’ve also done my test and inspection. Correct me if I’m wrong we still would need to carry out the AM2 to then be able to sign up to a cps?

@SparkyZac I did the exact same NVQ, and currently work in electrical maintenance as well. I

I too was looking at getting more into the installation side of things. My course was an NVQ in maintenance engineering electrical. But I’ve also done my test and inspection. Correct me if I’m wrong we still would need to carry out the AM2 to then be able to sign up to a cps?
Yes you would have too now. Older electricians who qualified many years ago now have to complete the nvq and AM2 . I am not sure what time line they have, or those who say qualified as ev installers prior September last year who don't actually even have inspection and testing now will have to still do the nvq . City and guilds course is the 2 year course which includes 18th ed and inspection and testing . But you have to complete a full nvq which could take years. I do understand that the training body EAL has a more simplified course which is more in like with working on job to obtain the and finish the nvq. Does anyone know any differant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts