am2 help guide

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkonrad

Reaction score
hi there i just passed my am2 and before doing it i got a lot of help of this site so just thought i would post some things that i think would be helpfull to others.

i have to say the main thing is to not rush in as, i know everyone says it but i didnt listen either and i nearly made a few stupid mistakes.

i started with the steel conduit and i would advise that you used 1 coupler inbetween your two 90 bends cause if you get it wrong youl lose all marks and i think you dont lose any for one coupler

i would advise practising glanding steel wired armoured to exact measure ments as you have to do it, but i dont think you lose to many marks even if it is clearly to long

be sure to know how to wire the lighting circuit, i think the easiet way to understand the lanlord key switch is to take a loop feed from the feed going into the two way and another looped brown from the com of the other two way into the key switch (people tell me you can just take a brown out of each of the top 2 or bottom 2 connections in the intermediate but thinking about how this works can be confusing)

i was worried about the motor circuit when doing mine but i have to say it was really easy you just follow the lines on the drawing and wire from din connectors into the switchs, all links are already in place

the piro isnt to bad because you get a rotating stripper which before the am2 i didnt know exsisted it is really easy to use as you just turn it and the examiner will usually show you if your struggling with the rest of it

you need to know how to do all tests and you need to do the complete ring main test as in the onsite guide also need to null the leads

in safe isloation you do it three times you use a martin dale for the socket circuit remmber to prove it in the socket provided and for the motor you isolate at the motor isolater not the board

also you need to remmber to use the heat resistant sleeves in the light, make sure key is in pocket during isolation, earth everything metal, diconect the rcd socket, emergency click, neon for the light, heater, and turn motor isolater off when doing insulation resistance

i hope this helps anyone doing the test, these are all the things i thought i might forget. there is also lots of other helpful threads on this site

is it truw that if u are over the age of 23yr's you dont need to siut the AM2 exam.. to get JIB reg if u have your NVQ L3....?

The AM 2 is the trade test for 'APPROVED' electricians, FICA is the trade test for ordinary electricians. So. you do the FICA to get your 'run of the mill' sparks card and two years later (approx) you can, if yur employer agrees go and do the AM 2.

Hadn't heard of the "FICA" test before, which was a surprise to me (sparks for several years, Instructor/assessor at college now) is it a Scottish test? (I'm in the South of England)?

and turn motor isolater off when doing insulation resistance
I thought you had to have the isolator on so you'r testing up to the contactor

hi there i just passed my am2 and before doing it i got a lot of help of this site so just thought i would post some things that i think would be helpfull to others.
Hello pkonrad.....

AM2?

I never done it ....

nor do I have any need to do it.....

But must say that seems to be one helluva good post for those that do!

nice one m8!GuinnessGuinnessApplaud Smiley

Where you been tetley?
Concur.....Where HAVE you been tetley???

Nice to see you back on the posting forumbulator! :D :xApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness
And con-concur That Tetley, Where have you been Hiding Mate? Good to see you back with us. :D

hi all this is my first post, i found this site when looking on google for am2 help etc, and this 1 thread has made me a lot more confident about mine, which im starting tomorrow!

so thanks pkonrad!

wish me luck!!

Where you been tetley?
Concur.....Where HAVE you been tetley???

Nice to see you back on the posting forumbulator! :D :xApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness
And con-concur That Tetley, Where have you been Hiding Mate? Good to see you back with us. :D
Hi, was meant to send you a msg special thanking you about all the advice given on an earlier post about a possible rewire. Didn't end up doing the job quoted

hi all this is my first post, i found this site when looking on google for am2 help etc, and this 1 thread has made me a lot more confident about mine, which im starting tomorrow!so thanks pkonrad!

wish me luck!!
Welcome i8thejacksGuinnessGuinnessGuinness:)

Aye its nearly back to full strength. not running on it yet but it'll not be long.

AM2 went well but gotta wait 4-5 weeks for the result so hopefully be celebrating before christmas.

Latest posts